Events and Info at DVMS | Dec. 3 to Dec. 7 2018
- Lower Zumba
- Upper dance
- Lower Field Trip to Dundas Museum
- Bake Sale
- Strata Holiday Market
- Poinsettia Pick up
- Toddler Tea
- Holiday concert and break
- Christmas Shopping Without the Kids
- Hockey Tournament
- Lost and found
Holiday Toy Drive
DVMS will once again be holding a Toy Drive to support the efforts of the local City Kidz organization. Click here to access the Wish List mentioned by City Kidz below. https://citykidz.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/CityKidz-Wishlist-2018.pdf A toy donation bin will be in the foyer starting Monday morning, and we will deliver the donated toys to the Dundas drop-off location throughout the drive until the last day on Wednesday Dec. 19th.We are always overwhelmed by your generosity during these charitable drives; thank you so much in advance. We encourage you to involve your children in the selection and delivery of toys to donate -- they have abundant charitable, empathetic impulses at all ages. From City Kidz:
In 2016, we set a goal to give 4,000 local children a Christmas gift. Thanks to the generosity of the greater Hamilton community, we were able to bring Christmas to over 4,300 children last year! Additionally, gifts that arrived after the close of our toy drive, were used to provide birthday presents for children throughout the year. This year, we have once again identified 4,000 children in need, and have set a goal to provide all of them with the gift of Christmas. Please join us!CityKidz accepts new, unwrapped gifts for boys and girls from 0 to 12 years of age. Each year, children submit wish lists with the toys they would most like to receive. We’ve included a copy of their most popular requests in a toy wishlist to help guide you in your giving. You can download a copy of the wishlist below [click the link above, actually].We encourage you to donate and drop off your toy donations as soon as possible. This will help give our staff and volunteers the time needed to select, wrap, and deliver the perfect gift to the boys and girls in our community. Our toy drive will close on December 21st to ensure all Christmas gifts can be delivered on time.
- Zumba: Lower Elementary will continue their Zumba lessons on Friday, Nov. 30th and Friday, December 7th. Please ensure that your child is wearing comfortable clothing and running shoes.
- Dundas Museum Field Trip: Lower Elementary students will be walking to the Dundas Museum to participate in the program “Growing up in Dundas, a History of Childhood”. Lower Elementary South will walking to the Museum on Wednesday Dec. 5th at 1:00. Lower Elementary North will be walking to the Museum on Thursday Dec. 6th at 9:00am.
- Dance: Upper Elementary students will be participating in Ballroom Dancing on Nov. 30th and December 7th. We have been fortunate enough to have the space at Bend Yoga available for us. Students will be walking to and from the studio. Please ensure your child has socks and a water bottle.
Information and Reminders
- Winter Break and Holiday Concert: The last full day of school is Thursday, Dec. 20th. This year's Holiday Concert will take place the morning of Friday, Dec. 21, and then we break for the winter holidays. The first day of school in the new year is Monday, January 7.
- Lost and Found: As we approach the end of the fall term, please take some time to have a good look through the lost and found. At the end of each term, any items remaining in the lost and found, that are not labeled, are donated (labeled items are returned to the lost and found). Thank you.
- Early Pick Ups: We realize that doctor appointments and 4pm hockey practices are inevitable. Just as with late arrivals in the morning, early pickups are a disruption to your child's community. We ask that if your child needs to leave early, please notify the office before 9am by email, phone or communication at drop off. This allows the note to go down to the classrooms with the morning attendance allowing the Guides to plan their lessons around children who may need to leave. Thank you for respecting our community.
Inclement Weather (Snow Days): DVMS takes advantage of the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board inclement weather process, which tries to post cancellation notices by 6:00 a.m. If HWDSB closes, so does DVMS. If there is a snow day, we will communicate that to you as early as we can in the mornings via email, dvms.ca and Facebook.
Christmas Shopping Without the Kids: Friday, December 7th 4:00-7:00. Leave your children with us for games, pizza and a movie while you get your Christmas shopping done. Price per child is $20.00 (that includes pizza and a drink). All money will be going towards the Year Six adventure to New York City for their Montessori United Nations Conference.
Hockey Tournament: A couple of Year Four boys have organized a lunch time hockey tournament on Thursday Dec. 6th. The tournament will be a lunch time event and entrance to the tournament is a donation to the food bank. Sign up sheets are outside of Upper Elementary East.
Fun Family Events
- Victorian Christmas: November 27 to December 2, at Dundurn National Historic Site, 610 York Boulevard, Hamilton. Click here for info and tickets. https://www.hamilton.ca/attractions/events-calendar/victorian-christmas-2?view=0
Enjoy the beauty of a mid-19th century family Christmas celebration at Dundurn Castle.The Garden Club of Hamilton decorates the Castle in Victorian splendor with cedar boughs, ribbons and dried flowers. Bring your family and share a Hamilton holiday tradition.Victorian Christmas will be held at Dundurn Castle from November 28 to December 31, 2017 (excluding Mondays).
- Holiday Entertainment at RBG: Check the RBG website for family activities and entertainment taking place throughout December.
Come visit the Gardens and stay around for a variety of performances including choirs, carollers, children's entertainment, and more! All the entertainment is included in your general admission or membership. Bring the family and experience RBG this holiday season!
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.