Events and Info at DVMS | Nov. 5th to 9th, 2018.
- Lower Zumba
- Upper Ballroom Dance
- Parent Observations and Interviews Nov. 22-24
- Fall back
- Remembrance Day
- Nov. 8 Parent Education event
- Anti Bullying Workshop
- Zumba: Lower Elementary students will be participating in Zumba at DVMS on Friday Nov. 9, 16 and 30th. Students will need to be wearing appropriate clothing for movement as well as running shoes. This is always a fun activity!
- Dance: Upper Elementary students will be participating in a dance program, at DVMS, on Friday Nov. 9, 16 and 30th. They will be focusing on Ballroom this year with Dan Lee.
Dan has been teaching Ballroom for nearly twenty years. He provides students with the best possible value and enjoyment while delivering a light-hearted fun dance lesson. In addition to private and group lessons, Dan has also been hired to teach large groups in schools and at special events. In his spare time, Dan volunteers at Culture Link where he helps New Canadians settle in the Toronto area.
Information and Reminders
DVMS Parent Observations and Interviews: Parent observations in your child's DVMS Montessori environments, and Parent-Teacher interviews with your child's Montessori guides, will take place throughout the week of November 19-23.Please note: there is no school on Friday, Nov. 23, due to the Parent-Teacher interviews.
- Parent Observations: Observations will be held between 9:00-11:00 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Nov. 19-21, and are an opportunity for you to spend time quietly observing in your child's Montessori environment prior to your Parent-Teacher interview. Observation sessions are 20 minutes and are for parents only (there will be opportunities for grandparents and other family members to visit during Show Me Day and Grandparents' Day in February and May, respectively). Please read the "DVMS Observation Guidelines" prior to your visit.
- Observations are not held in the Toddler Community as it is difficult for the toddlers to have mom and dad come into the environment and then leave without them.
- Observations are not held in Upper Elementary. There will be other events throughout the year such as speeches, science fair and MMUN that allow you to have a glimpse into your child's classroom.
Casa and Lower Elementary parents the link for observations will be available next week.
- Parent-Teacher Interviews: Interviews will be held from 4:00-8:00 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 22, and from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 23. (Both Lower Elementary environments will also have interview timeslots available the following week, between 2:00-3:30, during their phys. ed. and music classes; Lower South on Mon., Nov. 26, and Lower North on Wed., Nov. 28).
Interviews are 20-minutes in length and childcare is available during your interview session.
Please note: Toddler Community and Upper Elementary East interviews will take place on Wednesday Evening on November 21st.
The link for signing up for your interview will be in next weeks Newsletter.
- Fall Back: Remember, clocks go back one hour this weekend. See you all on time, and in the daylight, on Monday morning. Enjoy the extra hour of sleep, or the more relaxing Monday morning coffee drinking.
- Remembrance Day: Each year, our Elementary level students attend the Dundas Legion's Remembrance Day ceremonies and participate by laying a wreath. This year, Remembrance Day and the ceremony are on a Sunday, so our classes will not be able to attend. There will be various, age-appropriate activities, lessons, and discussions in the classrooms, but if you would like to attend the ceremonies with your children this year, here's the schedule for Sunday, November 11:
10:15am - Parade falls in at Memorial Square/Dundas Firehall10:30am - Parade marches to Memorial at Community Centre10:45am - Memorial service commences
- Parent Education Evening: Thursday Nov., 8. 5:30 - 7:00. "Raising a Resilient Humanity": Parent Education is a crucial aspect of what we do at DVMS and Tony is 'voluntelling' everyone to attend. A form came home with your child. Please fill it out and return it either way. The event will be held at DVMS and there will be childcare, wine and snacks.
Life is a roller coaster. At one time or another we have all experienced deep despair, pure joy, intense pressure, perfect calm, blinding anger, and profound laughter. How one learns to deal with life’s ups and downs is at the very core of a successful life. If we are too mercurial, if we can’t bounce back, if we chase the highs and avoid the lows, then we don’t tether to ourselves. Then we don’t live a meaningful life.Resilience outweighs academics and in fact is the primary reason that we succeed or fail. If parents and school work together then there is no better way to develop resilience than in a Montessori school.Please join us for an evening where we discuss ways that we are building resilience here at DVMS and Strata. More importantly how a partnership with parent and school can develop in your child the independence, confidence, humility, and self awareness they will need to ride their own ‘roller coaster’ to a wonderful life.
- Anti Bullying Workshop
Kathleen Wright is a Casa Parent and an anti-bullying and harassment specialist. She is running a workshop in Dundas for parents struggling to find solutions for their children and teen's bullying issues. This 2 hour workshop will help equip parents with better tools to talk with their children about bullying, a way to get their teachers and principals on their team, and innovative ways to find solutions to the problem. Please let friends and family know about this event if you think it would be helpful to them. Here is the Eventbrite link:https://www.eventbrite.com/e/
A request from one of our Toddler Moms: After school care needed for a 22 month old boy in the toddler program. Looking for either 2 or 3 days a week (your choice of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday, doesn’t even have to be the same days each week!) from when school’s out at 3:30pm until 5:15pm, $35 each day.
And The Winner Is........Thank you to all of you for supporting our Kids Cafe and our year sixes' efforts to raise money for their Montessori Model United Nations trip to New York City in February. Congratulations to Zoe Zak from Casa North for winning this weeks raffle.
Fun Family Events
- 2018 Road2Hope Hamilton Marathon: Click here http://www.hamiltonmarathon.ca for the marathon website with details and registration information. There is a kids' 1k race on Saturday morning -- click here for details.
- Double Header Weekend with The Hamilton Bulldogs: Saturday Nov. 3, at 4p.m. vs Kingston. Sunday Nov.4, at 2p.m. vs Owen Sound. Click here for the link to the Bulldogs website. http://hamiltonbulldogs.com
- Visit Your Local Library: Hamilton's public libraries host a variety of family activities such as family story times and family movies. Check the HPL site for what's going on at the library near you.