Events and Info at DVMS | Oct. 15-19, 2018
- Coming up
- Lower swimming
- Upper Parkour
- Clothing and the weather
- Parent dinner date
- School Painting
- Family Request
Things have slowed down a bit now that we are well into the school year. Thank you all for reading the "Events and Info" and keeping track of all the things to come to and to sign up for and to send along. Here's a heads up about a few things coming up in the near future:
- Fri. Nov. 2: PD Day. No School.
- Fri. October 26: DVMS/Strata Parent Dinner
- Thurs. Nov. 15: Parent Education Evening
- Week of Nov. 19-23: Parent Observations and Interviews (No School on Fri. Nov. 23).
The Merry family who owns our surrounding farm asks that you and your team are respectful of their fields of trees and natural ponds. PLEASE inform students and visitors that they are to stay on or beside the course and not in the neighbouring fields or pet cemetery. We appreciate you not leaving litter on our grounds.At 12:30 pm all participants will walk through the course, which is 1.5 km long. The course travels through fields, over hills, by two ponds and next to the woods. The start line is on our playing field at the southwest corner of the large Christmas Tree Farm parking lot. The finish line is also at the playing field. This makes it easier for marshalling and watching.Students in Grades 2, 3 and 4 (Midget) will run at 1:05 p.m. 1.5 kmStudents in Grades 5 and 6 (Junior) will run at 1:30 p.m. 1.5 kmStudents in Grades 7 and 8 (Senior) will run at 1:55 p.m. 2.5 kmIn each category, girls will race before boys.
- Swimming: Lower Elementary students will be walking to and from the Dundas Community Pool where they will participate in weekly swimming lessons until the end of October. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they able to easily and securely carry themselves.
Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Christine) will swim on Mondays: Lower North children will swim on Monday, October 15, Monday October 22.Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Joanna) will swim on Fridays: Lower South students will swim on Friday, October 12, October 19 and Friday October 26.
- Parkour! Upper Elementary students will be participating in parkour for the next three Fridays October 12th, 19th, and 26th. This will be facilitated by Ethan. All students will need appropriate footwear and clothing for those days. Please ensure you have a water bottle.
Information and Reminders
- Clothing and the Weather: As much as we enjoyed our extended summer weather, it seems fall has finally fallen upon us. Please be sure to check the weather forecast each morning. It is important for children to get outside as much as possible, so even if it is a wet, cold, dreary day we will all be going outside for recess, as long as it is not actually raining.
The recent warm winters have resulted in a few months of wet and muddy instead of a winter wonderland of snow. A few tips and info bits to remember as we head into colder, wetter weather:
- We make the call for recess and dismissal at the time. If it's raining in the morning it does not necessarily mean it will be indoor recess, and the playground may be wet and muddy. Please always assume they will be going outside.
- As the weather becomes colder, please avoid fabric or knit gloves and mittens. They are small and convenient, but they are inevitably soaking wet within 5 minutes of recess play and little hands are wet and cold, or glove/mitten-less. Proper footwear, hats and mitts that fit, and weather-appropriate outerwear make the cool months better for everyone.
- In cases of extreme cold or inclement weather, DVMS follows the guidelines of the City of Hamilton's Medical Officer of Health and the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB).
- If a cold alert is issued because the temperature is at -15º C or below, or the wind chill is at -20º C or below, children will stay inside for recess.
- For snow days, we take advantage of the HWDSB's process and resources since DVMS families travel from all areas of the Hamilton region. DVMS will close when HWDSB schools are closed. Unplanned snow days can cause chaos with work and other plans, but please remember that if the weather looks fine at your house, or if it clears up by 9:00 a.m., the call was made early enough to notify everyone before they head out, and with the safety of all area children and families in mind. We will email everyone as soon as a closure is announced (generally about 6:00 a.m.), and post on the "Home" page of dvms.ca, on our Facebook page, and on Twitter. You can also subscribe to email alerts from HWDSB, check their website, or follow them on Twitter for immediate notifcations.
- Parent Dinner October 26th: SOLD OUT. Our evening of harmonies in song and music sold out quickly. But don't worry - we are planning to offer several of these gastronomical journies over the year.
- For those that did sign up look forward to a meal built around Washoku or "the Harmony of Food" by legendary chef Mel Athulathmudali and the Strata alumni team. As well renowned Reza Jacobs, DVMS parent, and award winning composer, lyricist, sound designer, and music director, will be leading us in song. Look forward to seeing you all there.
Fun Family Events
Waypoint: Magic is starting up again at Waypoint. It was very popular last year with the Upper Elementary students. The first day is Tuesday, October 16 and is weekly for 6 sessions.The cost is $50 and sign up needs to be done before attending. For more information, head to the site below.http://www.waypointgames.ca/youth-league.htmlFamily Request: After school care needed for a 21 month old boy in the toddler program. Looking for 3days a week (your choice of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday, doesn’t even have tobe the same three days each week!) from when school’s out at 3:30pm until 5:15pm,offering $100/week. Ideally looking for someone close to the school. If in walking distance I can provide a stroller, or if by car, I can provide a car seat. I’m sending this message out in the hopes that a fellow Montessori parent has thepatience (strength? endurance?) to add another little one to their after school activitiesfor less than two hours a shot. I own a business in Dundas and I close at 5pm sharp; while I initially had a plan in place to make the timing work, of course things have fallen through!Tara Crugnale (Tristan Miu’s mom)Extra Clothing for Casa students: Please have a look in your child's bin to ensure that the appropriate clothing is at school. Now that the weather has changed the shorts and tee shirts can be taken home and exchanged for pants and long sleeved shirts.