Events and Info at DVMS | Oct. 8-12, 2018
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Lower swimming
- Lower Field Trip
- Upper Parkour
- Cross country pics
- Rafting pics
- Parent Dinner Save the Date
- Toddler Parent Education Evening
- World's Fair
Monday, October 8, is Thanksgiving Day and DVMS will be closed. Have a great long weekend DVMS community. Feast and celebrate with family and friends in all of the fun and wonderful ways you do.From us to you, thank you for choosing an authentic Montessori education for your children.
Cross-Country and Field Trips
- On Wednesday, October 10, both Lower and Upper Elementary students will be travelling by school bus to LaSalle Park in Burlington to take part in a cross-country running event with a number of other Montessori schools. They will require a packed, litterless picnic lunch and a water bottle (hot lunch kids too); nothing that needs to be reheated please.
- This year Fairview Glen is using the Cross Country run as a fundraiser for the SOS Children's village in Uganda. If you would like to make a donation please send it to school with your child and we will write a cheque on behalf of the DVMS.
Unfortunately, we can't have parent spectators attend again this year. The school that hosts the event, Fairview Glen Montessori in Burlington, has to get a permit for the use of the park and they got in trouble last year for going over the permitted capacity of the permit area. There are more schools attending this year, too, so they've had to sadly disallow parent spectators. Sorry.
Please ensure they have weather and running appropriate footwear and their DVMS t-shirt that day.
Lower Elementary Activities
- Swimming: Lower Elementary students will be walking to and from the Dundas Community Pool where they will participate in weekly swimming lessons until the end of October. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they able to easily and securely carry themselves.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Joanna) will swim on Fridays: Lower South children will swim on October 12th, 19th and 26th.
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Christine) will swim on Mondays: Lower North students will swim on Friday, Oct 1st, 15th, and 22nd.
Field Trip For Lower Elementary
- Thursday October 11th. Lower Elementary students will be walking into their community. We will be leaving the school at 10:00am. The year threes will be visiting the library, the year twos will be visiting the museum and the year ones will be visiting the fire hall. After our visits will have a picnic lunch at the dog park. Please pack a litter less lunch and a water bottle. Students will be back for school 2:00pm. Please dress for the weather!
Upper Elementary Activities
- Starting October 12, Upper Elementary students will be participating in Parkour on Friday afternoons, led by Play Project. They will be participating on Oct. 12th, 19th and 26th. This will take place at DVMS. Please ensure they are wearing, or bring, weather appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
Information and Reminders
- Parent Dinner: Save the Date October 26th. Details to follow.
- Toddler Parent Education Evening: Wednesday October 10th, 7-8:30pm
The DVMS Toddler Community would like to invite you to attend our Parent Evening on Independence.During this evening we will discuss Functional Independence and why it is important, scaffolding you child's growing independence and how to create opportunities for independence in your home. We'll also share some of our tricks we use in class that help your child care for themselves. We will also delve into the hot topic of toilet learning. There will be a chance for you to give examples of your successes and challenges and get feedback from the community of parents.In preparation for our discussion please read Chapter 3 in How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way - by Tim SeldinWe encourage one or both parents attend this event - Grandparents, nannies and other caregivers are also welcome. We hope that by gathering later in the evening everyone has a chance to settle their children in with a caregiver and are free to have a night out with drinks, nibbles and an interesting discussion.*This event is open to the entire DVMS school community and we invite all people interested in this topic and how it relates to children 0-3 years old to join us.Please RSVP to email@example.com email as to whether you are able to attend and how many adults will be attending from your family by Oct 5th.
- Strata Montessori Friday Café: Every Friday morning, the fine folks at Strata Montessori Adolescent School host a wonderful café as part of their student micro-economy ventures. It is a lovely time in a beautiful place with great people.