Events and Info at DVMS | Oct.1-5 2018
Well, that's one way to do your work.This week:
- PD DAY ON FRIDAY OCTOBER 5
- School Photo Days
- Elementary cross-country and field trips
- Lower swimming
- Upper Parkour
- Parent Dinner- Save The Date
- Parking lot reminders
- Boomerang benefit
- Toddler Parent Education
- Strata Café
- Walk for Down Syndrome
PD Day October 5
Friday is a PD day for staff at DVMS and Strata. Please enjoy your extra long Thanksgiving weekend!
School Photo Days
Photo days are on Monday, Oct. 1, and Tuesday, Oct. 2. Photos will once again be taken by the wonderful Lindsay Palmer, one of your fellow Montessori Moms. We will be taking individual and sibling photos, on the playground. As you can imagine, this is a very busy couple of days requiring a significant amount of planning and coordination. We will stick to the following schedule as best we can so that you know when to dress 'em up and wash the jam off:
- Monday, Oct. 1:
- First thing in the morning we will take photos of Toddler children and their Casa and/or Elementary siblings, and the Toddler class photo. Siblings of Toddlers will also have their individual photos taken at that time.
- All Casa class photos will also be taken in the morning.
- Over the rest of the day, we will be taking photos of the Casa children and their Elementary siblings. Siblings of Casa children will also have their individual photos taken at that time. (Any children in Lower Elementary North will have photos with their Casa siblings taken before they go swimming).
- [As an example for this day, if you have a child in Casa and a child in Upper Elementary, they will both have their photos taken on Monday.]
- Tuesday, Oct. 2:
- We will begin with East class, sibling, and individual photos (they have gym in the afternoon)
- Over the rest of the day, we will conclude all Elementary-level class, sibling, and individual photos, as well as any others that were missed.
If your child is just a little bit sick and could handle being present for their class photo, even if you want to pick them up after, that's just fine for photo days.
Cross-Country and Field Trips
- On Wednesday, October 10, both Lower and Upper Elementary students will be travelling by school bus to LaSalle Park in Burlington to take part in a cross-country running event with a number of other Montessori schools. They will require a packed, litterless picnic lunch and a water bottle (hot lunch kids too); nothing that needs to be reheated please.
- This year Fairview Glen is using the Cross Country run as a fundraiser for the SOS Children's village in Uganda. If you would like to make a donation please send it to school with your child and we will write a cheque on behalf of the DVMS.
Unfortunately, we can't have parent spectators attend again this year. The school that hosts the event, Fairview Glen Montessori in Burlington, has to get a permit for the use of the park and they got in trouble last year for going over the permitted capacity of the permit area. There are more schools attending this year, too, so they've had to sadly disallow parent spectators. Sorry.
Please ensure they have weather and running appropriate footwear and their DVMS t-shirt that day.
Upper ElementaryOn Thursday October 4th, Upper Elementary students will be heading out on their rafting trip and canoe trip with The Grand River Rafting Company. Drop-off and pick-up is at DVMS. Students will be bused to and from and need to be at DVMS no later than 8:30. They will return in time for regular dismissal at 3:45. Year 4 and 5 students will travel in rafts while year 6 students will traverse the river by canoe. They will lunch across from natural springs and finish the day with a "Blind Man's Race" and a hike. They will require a litterless packed picnic lunch. Here’s the “What to Bring” guide from the rafting company:
Hats, sunscreen, lip balm, sun glasses, water, camera, footwear that can get wet and stay on your feet. Bathing suits and clothing that dries fast. Strings for those who wear glasses! Please do not wear denim pants, they never dry out. We suggest nylon material that dries easily. For cool weather dress in layers so that you can strip down as needed with a nylon jacket and splash pants on top! Gloves and a hat are good. And have warm waterproof footwear.
- Starting October 12, Upper Elementary students will be participating in Parkour on Friday afternoons, led by Play Project. They will be participating on Oct. 12th, 19th and 26th. Please ensure they are wearing, or bring, weather appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear;
- Swimming: Lower Elementary students will be walking to and from the Dundas Community Pool where they will participate in weekly swimming lessons until the end of October. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they able to easily and securely carry themselves.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Joanna) will swim on Fridays: Lower South children will swim on October 12th, 19th and 26th.
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Christine) will swim on Mondays: Lower North students will swim on Friday, Oct 1st, 15th, and 22nd.
Information and Reminders
- Parent Dinner- Save the Date- October 26th
- Parking Lot Reminders: Just a reminder to please turn right when exiting the parking lot during drop-off and pick-up times. Kemp Dr. loops around to Central Park so we can use it as a loop and avoid congestion. Also, now that the fall heat wave has passed, please remember that DVMS is a no-idling zone; please turn vehicles off when waiting in the parking lot. Thanks everyone.
- Boomerang Lunch and Meal Benefits: The new boomerang lunch continues to work well; thank you for your adoption and ongoing cooperation. Also this year, all of your children's Montessori guides are able to sit and eat family style with the children, at all levels. This approach, and the added accountability for our own waste, is working wonders to encourage grace and courtesy, table etiquette, and conversation. The benefits of sitting and eating together, and of everyone having a role in every aspect of the meal are really evident. We hope you are seeing the benefits at home during your family meals as well.
- Toddler Parent Education Evening: Wednesday October 10th
The DVMS Toddler Community would like to invite you to attend our Parent Evening on Independence.During this evening we will discuss Functional Independence and why it is important, scaffolding you child's growing independence and how to create opportunities for independence in your home. We'll also share some of our tricks we use in class that help your child care for themselves. We will also delve into the hot topic of toilet learning. There will be a chance for you to give examples of your successes and challenges and get feedback from the community of parents.In preparation for our discussion please read Chapter 3 in How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way - by Tim SeldinWe encourage one or both parents attend this event - Grandparents, nannies and other caregivers are also welcome. We hope that by gathering later in the evening everyone has a chance to settle their children in with a caregiver and are free to have a night out with drinks, nibbles and an interesting discussion.*This event is open to the entire DVMS school community and we invite all people interested in this topic and how it relates to children 0-3 years old to join us.Please RSVP to email@example.com email as to whether you are able to attend and how many adults will be attending from your family by Oct 5th.
- Strata Montessori Friday Café: Every Friday morning, the fine folks at Strata Montessori Adolescent School host a wonderful café as part of their student micro-economy ventures. It is a lovely time in a beautiful place with great people.
Fun Family Events
- 26th Annual Gandhi Peace Festival: Saturday, September 29, 1:00 – 5:00 p.m., at Hamilton City Hall, 71 Main Street West. Maria Montessori intended her educational approach to be Peace Education (click here for a quick overview, and click here for a longer work by Renilde Montessori -- Maria's granddaughter). Click here for more on the festival.
The peace festival was started in 1993, a year before the celebration of the 125th anniversary of Gandhi's birthday and it has been held annually on a weekend closest to Gandhi's birth day (October 2). The purpose of the Mahatma Gandhi Peace Festival is:
- To promote nonviolence, peace and justice;
- To provide an avenue for various peace and human rights organizations within the local community of Hamilton and Burlington to become collectively visible, and exchange dialogues and resources;
- To build on local interest and dialogue in peace and human rights issues that develop around the world.
The peace festival is co-sponsored by the India-Canada Society of Hamilton and the Centre for Peace Studies, McMaster University.
- 6th Annual Hamilton Walk for Down Syndrome: Sunday, September 30th , 8:30 – 12:00, Bayfront Park, 200 Harbour Front Drive, Hamilton. This event is near and dear to us as one of your fellow Montessori Moms is the chair of the Down Syndrome Association of Hamilton and her son Owen is a student at DVMS. We encourage you to participate in the walk. Click here to support team Owen! https://thewalk.dsah.ca/teams/team-owen-2018/