Events and Info at DVMS | Sept. 17-21, 2018
The important September events
- WELCOME BACK PICNIC IS SATURDAY
- Pop Up Apparel Shop!
- PD Day - October 5, 2018
- Calendars and notifications
- Lower soccer
- Upper adventures
- FREE speech screening
- Shoes and socks
- Boomerang lunches
- Rainy day recess
- Try before you buy hot lunch
- No Left Turn!
Important Events to Start the Year
- Saturday, September 15, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.: Welcome Back to School Picnic at DVMS
This event has been rained for a number of years but Saturday is looking good! This is a fun picnic day on the playground to welcome everyone back to school and give you time to renew old acquaintances and meet some of the other wonderful families who have chosen an authentic Montessori education for their children. Bring a picnic lunch, chairs and/or blankets, and post up under the trees for food, fun, and friends. Don't forget your reusable water bottles.
- DVMS APPAREL POP UP SHOP - During the school picnic, our older children will be running a Pop Up Shop between 11am-12pm as a fundraiser for DVMS. They will be selling DVMS T-shirts and hoodies for anyone who missed the Sept 2 deadline. Payment can be made by cash, debit or credit card at the time of purchase. Items will be available to take home the same day. In return, T. Litzen will be donating equipment to the school. Thanks T. Litzen!
SEE YOU ALL TOMORROW!
Lower Elementary First Year and New Student Interviews
- Monday September 24, 2:00-4:00p.m: Lower Elementary South NEW parent teacher interviews: Parents of new Lower Elementary South (Noeleen and Joanna) students (both new, first-year Lower Elementary children and new-to-DVMS Lower Elementary children) are asked to attend a 10-minute introductory meeting with their Montessori guides on Monday September 24th. Please note, there was an error on the link that was sent out via email the first time. Please ensure that your interview is set for Monday September 24th. Please find below the link for the available timeslots.
- Wednesday September 26, 2:00-4:00pm: Lower Elementary North NEW parent teacher interviews: Parents of new Lower Elementary North (Jodi and Christine) students (both new, first-year Lower Elementary children and new-to-DVMS Lower Elementary children) are asked to attend a 10-minute introductory meeting with their Montessori guides on Wednesday September 26th. Please note, there was an error on the link that was sent out via email the first time. Please ensure that your interview is set for Wednesday September 26th. Please find below the link for the available time slots.
- Monday, October 1st and Tuesday October 2nd: School Photo Days. More details will come regarding which day to polish them up. Photos will once again be taken by the wonderful Lindsay Palmer , one of your fellow Montessori Moms.
PD DAY - FRIDAY OCTOBER 5, 2017 - Our first PD day of the year will be Friday October 5. Enjoy your extra long Thanksgiving Weekend!
- Friday, Sept. 21: Lower Elementary students will be participating in indoor soccer at the Ancaster sports complex. They will be bussed from DVMS at 12:45pm and will return for dismissal. Students are asked to wear appropriate footwear and clothing for soccer. Students must Bring a water bottle.
- Friday, Sept. 21: Observing Humans in a Human Environment and Hamilton Walking Tour. Upper Elementary students will travel by city bus to downtown Hamilton where they will begin their adventures at the Hamilton Public Library. They will depart from DVMS, so please drop off at the regular time. The day will consist of observations that will lead into a "This is Hamilton" project. Students will also have photography lessons and embark on a walking tour including the Art Gallery of Hamilton, James Street North, and Bayfront Park, among other interesting aspects of Hamilton they may not be aware of; the walking tour will also involve map reading skills. Students will return to DVMS, by city bus, in time for regular dismissal. All students will require a packed picnic litterless lunch and weather appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
Information and Reminders
- Free Speech Therapy Screenings: DVMS has as ongoing relationship with Anderson Speech Consultants. Anderson will be offering free speech screenings for children that any parents or DVMS guides feel would benefit. If you would like to take advantage of this offering, or if your child's guide recommends it, please read and/or download, print, and complete Speech Therapy Screening Information, Speech Therapy Consent for Screening, and Speech Therapy Consent for Release (if you would prefer to pick up a hard copy of these forms, please just pop into the office). If you have any other questions, please contact Mairi at email@example.com
- Shoes and Socks: The weather is still nice, but please remember that children need to wear closed-toe shoes and socks to school every day for safety and hygiene purposes. Thank you.
- Boomerang Lunchs: Boomerang lunches are going well so far and we have significantly cut down on the garbage and recycling produced at school. Thank you!!
Rainy Day Recess: It is a goal of ours to have children out in more inclement weather this year. As the Scandinavians say, “There is no bad weather only inappropriate clothing".If it is warm but drizzly we would like to take the kids outside. So please have your child dressed for success.Rain boots, splash pants and a rain coat or rain suit (for Casa) would be sufficient.Please no umbrellas.
Try Before You Buy - Hot Lunch: Our hot lunch provider, The Lunch Lady, will be offering a "try before you buy" hot lunch this month. This is open to all children who are currently not on hot lunch. Lunch on this day will be Homemade Mac & Cheese with a side vegetable. Please sign up before September 23 by filling out this form.
NO LEFT TURN: Please note that there is NO LEFT TURN permitted out of our driveway between the hours of 8:15am-9:15am and 3:15pm-4:15pm. This has been put into place by the City of Hamilton who will be monitoring. Thank you for cooperation.
The weekly photo galleries can be a good way to start conversations with your sometimes-reluctant children about what they do at school. If your child is in one of the photos, ask them what they're up to. If your child is not in any photos in a given week, go through the galleries with them and ask if they recognize their friends and what they are doing. It's a nice, subtle way to open the door into how they spend their school days.[gallery ids="24704,24705,24706,24707,24708,24709,24710,24711,24712,24713,24714,24715,24716,24717,24718,24719,24720,24721,24722,24723,24725,24726,24727,24728,24729,24730,24731,24732,24733,24734,24735,24736,24737,24738,24739" type="slideshow"]
Fun Family Events
- Welcome Back to School Picnic at DVMS: Saturday, September 15, 11:00 – 1:00. You know all about this one. And it will not rain!
- Dundas Terry Fox Run: The Dundas Terry Fox Run is Sunday, Sept. 16, at Driving Park.
Run Day DetailsRegistration: 8:00 amKids' Fun Run: 9:00 amOne Start: 9:15 amLocation: Dundas Driving Park - Parkview RowParking is availableWhat to bring: water bottle for refilling waterKids corner, face painting, snacks and water stations will be provided
Route InformationBicycle, Stroller, and Wheelchair accessible.Route distance: 1 km - Kids Run; 5 km - Adult Run.
- Telling Tales: A Festival of Stories: Sunday, September 16, 10:00 - 4:00, at Westfield Heritage Village. Click here for event website.
Designated one of the province’s “Top 100” by Festivals and Events Ontario, this is a free event celebrating Canada’s leading children’s writers and illustrators. Meet authors, artists and musicians and take part in the popular Book Swap and Shop. Free parking at Rockton Fairgrounds with complimentary shuttle service to Westfield. (Please note there is no parking at Westfield.)
- Binbrook Fall Fair: September 14-16, 2600 Regional Road #56, Binbrook, L0R 1C0. Click here for more.
Many things to do and see for the whole family including Canada's #1 Demolition Derby. Farm Animals, Birds of Prey, Commercial Exhibits, Midway Rides, Live Entertainment for All Ages and more.
- 6th Annual Hamilton Walk for Down Syndrome: Sunday, September 30 , 8:30 - 12:00, Bayfront Park, 200 Harbour Front Drive, Hamilton. This event is near and dear to us as one of your fellow Montessori Moms is the chair of the Down Syndrome Association of Hamilton and her son Owen is a student at DVMS. We encourage you to participate in the walk, and you can support Team Owen by clicking right here.