Events and Info at DVMS | Sept. 10-14, 2018
Observing your children in their environments, at every level, come back from their summer break - ready to work, full of curiosity and engagement, laughing, playing and learning has been so humbling.In the Montessori community, we pride ourselves on being, and are widely considered to be, leaders in high fidelity Montessori education. Like most that strive for excellence, we are less interested in what we are doing well, but instead, constantly asking what could we do better. So over the last five years we implemented: more meaningful learning resource, better parent partnerships, true French immersion for our younger students, a focus on great work for our elementary students, and literally hundreds of smaller initiatives.Watching the incredible sense of calm and purpose in all of our classes, it feels like all of our thoughts, conversations, observations, - indeed all of our efforts - have been rewarded. As always thanks to all the parents and families for their faith and support.Important dates to note
- Lower soccer
- Upper adventures
- Dismissal reminder
- Parking Lot
- Boomerang lunch update and thank you
- Lower Elementary reading folders
- Music lessons
- Hot Lunch menu
Important Events to Start the Year
- Tuesday, Sept. 11, 4:00 p.m.: Lower Elementary Parent Orientation
- This orientation session is open to all Lower Elementary parents. You are strongly encouraged to attend to chat with the guides and go over some of the routines and expectations for the year.
- September 13, 14, and 15, 3:30 – 6:00 p.m.: New Casa Children Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please sign up for your 15 minute time slot on the appropriate day.
- Casa North: September 12
- Casa South: September 13
- Casa East: September 14
Parents of children that are new to the DVMS Casa program, either as first-year students or as new-to-DVMS second- or third-year Casa students, are asked to sign up for a brief introductory meeting with your child’s Montessori guides. Class lists were emailed on if you are unsure of which Montessori environment your child is in.
- Saturday, September 15, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.: Welcome Back to School Picnic at DVMS
This is a fun picnic day on the playground to welcome everyone back to school and give you time to renew old acquaintances and meet some of the other wonderful families who have chosen an authentic Montessori education for their children. Bring a picnic lunch, chairs and/or blankets, and post up under the trees for food, fun, and friends. This event is weather dependent so if it is raining, it will be canceled. An email will go out the morning of to let you know if this is the case.
- Monday, October 1, and Tuesday, October 2: School Photo Days. More details will come regarding which day to polish them up. Photos will once again be taken by the wonderful Lindsay Palmer , one of your fellow Montessori Moms.
- Soccer: Lower Elementary students will be playing soccer at the Ancaster Sports Complex on Friday. Students will be bussed from school at 12:45 and return for 3:00pm. Students will need appropriate footwear and a water bottle.
- Friday, Sept. 14:
- Friday, Sept. 15: Strata Montessori School: "Story of Life." Your Upper Elementary student will be spending the full day in the ponds, waterfalls, forests, and trails around Strata. Please drop students off at Strata Montessori Adolescent School by 9:00 a.m. Pick up will be from 3:00 - 3:15 p.m., also at Strata. Please find a friend if you are unable to pick up at the designated time. All students will require a packed litterless lunch and weather appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
Information and Reminders
- Dismissal Reminder: As much as possible, we ask that you pick up at the appropriate time for your child’s level (3:30 p.m. for Toddler and Casa children; 3:45 p.m. for Elementary students). Parents with children in both Toddler/Casa and Elementary are asked to arrive at 3:45. It is important that we account for each child’s dismissal. Please ensure that your child says goodbye and shakes the hand of the staff member with the clipboard by the main entrance. Thank you.
- Parking Lot: Just a reminder if your children are of elementary age, please drop them off at the foot of the path and let them walk up the walkway to the school. This not only fosters independence for them but also eases congestion in our parking lot. Also, between the hours of 8:30am-9:00am and 3:30pm-4pm, please only turn RIGHT when exiting the school parking lot.
- Boomerang Lunch: Our Boomerang Lunches are off to a great start. Remember, this means everything that comes in the lunch bag goes home in the lunch bag. We have noticed a significant reduction in the amount of waste generated at the school. Hopefully, you are getting a better idea of what is being eaten and what is not being eaten. Please remember to send any required cutlery (and if you notice some strange new cutlery coming home, please send it back).
Families with younger children, please have them practice opening/closing and packing/unpacking their lunch bags and containers to ensure they can do so independently at school.
At DVMS, we encourage healthy eating because, well, it's good for you, and because a well-fed mind is a good learning mind. We ask that, as much as possible, you try to avoid processed, sugary foods, and do not include sweet treats such as pop or candy in children's lunches.
Thank you, DVMS families, for your easy adoption and cooperation with helping to make lunches more healthy and eco-friendly.
Elementary-level families, please send a labeled water bottle that will remain at DVMS for the school year and that can be regularly sanitized in our very high heat dishwasher.Lower Elementary children are also asked to include a cloth napkin in their lunch each day (hot lunch kids too).Here is a link to an article about boomerang lunches that also links to some other great lunch resources.
- Lower Elementary Reading Folders: Lower Elementary children each have a labeled reading folder in which they keep the book(s) they are currently reading. The folders come home (almost) every day so that they can read independently or with you at home in the evenings. Please gently prompt them to remember to bring it back to school each day. We will remind them that, "No, mom or dad did not forget your reading folder." Thank you.
- Music Lessons: One of your fellow Montessori Moms has been offering music lessons, after school at DVMS, for the last few years and will do so again this year:
Come learn with me! Gosia McCarroll is thrilled to be back at DVMS for another exciting year of music.I will be offering violin classes for children as young as 4, and piano as young as 6 and up, including but not limited to preparation for the Royal Conservatory of Music. Gosia, a music educator for many years is certified in classical and Suzuki based methods. She holds a Masters degree in Music Education from the Academy of Music in Krakow, Poland, and is on faculty with the Instrument for Every Child program in Hamilton. Being a Montessori mom for many years, and inspired by the community, Gosia recently completed the Association Montessori Internationale Children’s House Assistants Course in Toronto.For more information please contact Gosia directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905.320.1342
- Hot Lunch Menu: The Hot Lunch menu for the fall term has been finalized. You can view it on the "Hot Lunch Registration Form and Menu" page at dvms.ca. The menu runs on a 4-week rotation. You can check the calendar at dvms.ca to see which week we are on.
Here you go Montessori Moms and Dads, a glimpse into the DVMS Montessori environments to see what your wonderful kids got up to this week.[gallery ids="24613,24614,24615,24616,24617,24618,24619,24620,24621,24622,24627,24609,24610,24611,24608,24607,24606,24605,24604,24603,24601,24600,24599,24566,24630,24631,24632,24629,24633,24634" type="slideshow" orderby="rand"]
Fun Family Events
Put on your walking shoes, fill your water bottles, and hit the ATM. It's a busy Hamilton weekend. Plus, some upcoming events to plan for.
- Yoga with Alpacas and Sheep: Saturday, September 8, 8:30-9:45. Click here for website.
Join Fibre Friends Yoga for an incredible experience! Classes run weekly on Saturdays from 8:30AM-9:45AM until September 29. Registration is required, visit https://fibrefriendsyoga.weebly.com for more information or @fibrefriendsyoga on Facebook
- Christie Antique & Vintage Show: Saturday, September 8, 8:00 - 5:00, at Christie Lake Conservation Area, 1000 Hwy 5 W, Hamilton ON. Children 12 and under free. Click here for info. (Even if you're not shopping, kids love old things).
Hundreds of Canada’s top antique and vintage dealers display and sell an unparalleled variety of treasures. With 10 acres of items waiting to be discovered, there are pieces to please both the novice and the most experienced collector. Furniture, architectural antiques, stoneware, Native artifacts, folk art, rugs, jewelry, sports memorabilia, scientific instruments, textiles, cut glass and more! If you can imagine it, you can find it in one of the 1,200 collecting categories featured at the show!
- Locke Street Festival: Saturday, September 8, 10:00 - 7:00, Locke Street. Click for info.
The Locke Street Festival is a free neighborhood event that has been happening the second Saturday of September for the past 18 years. The Locke Street Festival is one of Ontario’s largest one-day street festivals and continues to grow with each passing year. People come from all over to shop, eat and enjoy a range of live music and performances.
- 29th Annual Wiggle Waggle Walk: Sunday, September 9, 10:00 - 2:00, Bayfront Park, 200 Harbour Front Drive, Hamilton. Click here for details.
Bring your dog and join us for a day of fun in the sun at the 29th annual Wiggle Waggle Walk. 100% of the proceeds will benefit homeless and neglected animals. Register today at www.hbspca.com.
- Artisan Market: Sunday, September 9, 10:00 - 4:00, Dundas Driving Park. Click here for info.
Show and sale of original art works. 41 artists on site. Paintings, pottery, woodwork, jewellery,garden art, glass work, metal work, fabric arts, art cards etc. Free admission and parking.
- Dundas Terry Fox Run: The Dundas Terry Fox Run is coming up on Sunday, Sept. 16, at The Dundas Driving Park.
Run Day DetailsRegistration: 8:00 amKids' Fun Run: 9:00 amOne Start: 9:15 amLocation: Dundas Driving Park - Parkview RowParking is availableWhat to bring: water bottle for refilling waterKids corner, face painting, snacks and water stations will be provided
Route InformationBicycle, Stroller, and Wheelchair accessible.Route distance: 1 km - Kids Run; 5 km - Adult Run.