Events and Info at DVMS | Jan. 15-19, 2018
- Parent education coming up
- Lower karate
- Upper outdoor ed.
- Upper basketball
- Subscribe to DVMS calendars
- Non-slip socks
- Early morning risers
- 2018 NHL Alumni Benefit Tour
Parent Education Evening
The next in our series of Parent Education Evenings is coming up on Wednesday, January 24. This event will cover the Culture area of the Montessori curriculum, with a bent to the geography side of the world, to show how the child is characteristic of their time and place. The evening will begin with the Montessori Big Bang Story that teaches the formation of the universe with experiments and impressionistic charts, followed by an introduction to briefly explain how:
- The child from ages 0-6 adapts to their time and place, their immediate culture, and their experience of the earth. In aiding a child to their optimal adaptation, we ground the child in this concept of where they are to help them develop who they are.
- The Elementary child experiences culture by forming, and functioning in, a practice community, and by imagining what is possible from a foundation of knowing where they are and answering the burning question… why?
- The Adolescent continues the earlier quests by revisiting, refining, and defining who they are by working with land. This requires intellectual thought and physical occupations that engage their hands, their minds, and their hearts.
The bulk of the evening will give you the opportunity to receive presentations and work with Montessori materials from all levels of the Montessori Culture curriculum.As always, there will be childcare available, and wine!If you don't usually attend the Parent education Evenings, we encourage you to come out -- they are informative and give you great insights into how Montessori works and what your children get up to.
er Elementary students will be participating in karate, at DVMS, with the fine folks from United Family Martial Arts during the Friday afternoons of Jan. 12, 19, 26, and Feb. 2. Please help them remember to wear clothing they can move in on karate days.
- Upper Elementary students will be participating in a series of outdoor education activities with Justin Metz from Strata Montessori, on Thursday OR Friday afternoons.
- Upper East (Terrence and Catherine) will have outdoor ed. on Thursdays
- Upper West (Kathleen and Michael) will have outdoor ed. on Fridays.
They will require appropriate outdoor weather gear for this activity (please keep an eye on the forecasts).
- Upper Basketball Team: Attn: Upper Elementary students that are interested in playing basketball for DVMS this year -- practices will continue on Tuesdays, from 3:30-4:30. Please contact Colin Fox if you have any questions (you can send questions for Colin to email@example.com); kids can talk to Colin during gym.
Information and Reminders
- Subscribe to DVMS Calendars: Elementary parents, we encourage you to subscribe to your child(ren)’s classroom calendar(s) [ie. make it viewable on your own calendar] to make it easier to stay up to date on what they're up to. Instructions on how to do so for the most common calendar types are as follows:
- Google (Gmail) (Select “Add using a link”)
- Outlook (Under “Subscribe to Google Calendar,” start at step 5 and paste the relevant iCal address from below)
- Calendar for Mac
- iPhone/iPad: using your device, click on the relevant iCal link below and select “Subscribe” if it is the correct calendar. On the next screen, select “Done”. (Updating to the most recent iOS version first is recommended).To subscribe to the calendars using any of the procedures above, you will need to copy and paste (or click for iPhone/iPad as above) the correct classroom calendar’s iCal (internet Calendar) address (URL):
Lower Elementary North(Jodi/Kathleen): https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/lowerelementarynorth%40dvms.ca/public/basic.icsLower Elementary South (Noeleen/Christine): https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/lowerelementarysouth%40dvms.ca/public/basic.icsUpper Elementary East (Terrence/Catherine): https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/upperelementaryeast%40dvms.ca/public/basic.icsUpper Elementary West (Kathleen/Michael): https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/upperelementarywest%40dvms.ca/public/basic.ics
All DVMS families are asked to please make the main calendar at dvms.ca your go to source for all events and information (other than the Events and Info, of course). If you would like to add that calendar, it’s iCal URL is: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/admin%40dvms.ca/public/basic.ics
Non-Slip Socks: Now that the winter weather is, well...doing whatever it is the weather is doing these days, the afterschool program is taking place in the gym. If you know that your child will be in aftercare, we would like to ask that, as much as possible, please send them with non-slip socks (that have the little rubber bits on the bottom). Obviously, they remove their wet and muddy boots before entering the gym and we have had a few slip and fall crashes from exuberant, sock-footed fun. Thank you.
Fun Family Events
- Early Morning Risers: At Hamilton Children's Museum. This is an ongoing, weekly activity.
- 2018 NHL Alumni Benefit Tour: Dave Andreychuk Mountain Arena, 25 Hester St, Hamilton. Click here for tickets and info.
Celebrating Dave Andreychuk induction into the Hockey Hall Of Fame he will be at the game to heat up the ice! He is one of the finest left wingers to have played in the NHL scoring 640 goals over 23 NHL seasons.The Dave Andreychuk Mountain Arena will play host to Hockey Night in Hamilton on Saturday January 13th, 2018!Scotiabank proudly presents the 2018 NHL Alumni Benefit Tour featuring NHL legends from Stanley Cup winning teams, classic original 6 hockey teams and local former NHLers representing your hometown all in support of Help a Child Smile! The NHL Alumni Tour has proudly hosted hockey legends such as Walter Gretzky, Wendel Clark, Curtis Joseph, Tiger Williams, Theo Fleury and many more!
Straight back to work after a couple of weeks off! We're always amazed how your children just walk back into their school routines.Let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.