Events and Info at DVMS | Dec. 18-22, 2017
- Strata Holiday Market
- Lower Jan activities
- Upper Jan activities
- Upper basketball
- Holiday concert details
- DVMS clothing at concert
- Upper clothing drive
- Toy Drive - last day is Tuesday, Dec. 19
- Maria Montessori movie
- Lost keys
- Toddler Tea
- Lost and found
- Ongoing seasonal events
- Victorian Christmas
- Holiday Extravaganza
- Christmas Tradition Concert
Strata Holiday Market: Tomorrow! Saturday, Dec. 16
We hope you can all make it out to the Strata Holiday Market tomorrow. The Market is a chance to get some Christmas shopping done by purchasing items hand-made, marketed, and merchandised by the Strata students. From the Strata crew:
Our yearly Strata Market will be taking place tomorrow -- Saturday, Dec. 16, From 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.Our Cafe will be running throughout the entire Market. Feel free to stop by and grab one of our new wonderful dishes.Most of our products will be available for order this year; if we do not have a product at the Market that you would like to purchase, you can order it and it will be available for pick up on Dec. 22 during the Holiday Concert at DVMS.See you soon!!!
- Fall term Friday activities for Lower Elementary students are now finished. In the new year, they will be participating in karate at DVMS and will need to wear or bring loose fitting, or other clothing, that they can move in.
- Fall term Friday activities for Upper Elementary students are now finished. In the new year, they will be participating in a series of outdoor education activities with (new Dad!) Justin Metz from Strata Montessori. They will require appropriate outdoor weather gear for this activity (please keep an eye on the forecasts).
- Upper Basketball Team: Attn: Upper Elementary students that are interested in playing basketball for DVMS this year -- we held our first practice this past Tuesday, and will continue to do so, from 3:30-4:30, in the gym, on Tuesday, Dec. 19. Practices will pick up again on Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018. You can still join. Please contact Colin Fox if you have any questions (you can send questions for Colin to email@example.com).
Information and Reminders
- Winter Break and Holiday Concert -- The Details: The last full day of school is Thursday, Dec. 21. This year's Holiday Concert will take place the morning of Friday, Dec. 22, and then we break for the winter holidays. On the day of the Holiday Concert:
- Children should be dropped off at DVMS between 8:45-9:00 on Friday, Dec.22, when they will go to their Montessori environments to get ready and run any last minute rehearsals.
- Parents are invited to stay at DVMS to browse the Strata Market and enjoy some delectables from their Café.
- The big show will run from 9:30 to 10:30ish, after which Strata will re-open their Café for last-minute treats and chats before we head off for the winter break.
- If you or your child is not able to attend the concert this year, please let your child’s Montessori guides know.
- We have some small clothing requests for the Elementary children (both Lower and Upper): can they please wear jeans and a red, white, or black top; Upper children also have the option of wearing a toque, mitts, or scarf. Thank you. (Casa kids do not need to wear anything special).
- There is no school or on-stage performance for Toddler Community children this day, but they have made a video and are invited to come with you to watch the show.
- There is no school in the afternoon on Friday, Dec. 22. The first day of school in the new year is Monday, January 8.
Here's a little sneak peek at the preparations, but you don't get to see too much until the day of. [gallery type="rectangular" ids="21708,21709"]
- DVMS Clothing at Holiday Concert: Our friends, and your fellow DVMS Montessori family, the Litzens, of T. Litzen Sports, will be set up at the Holiday Concert to print on-the-spot DVMS dry-fit t-shirts, in youth, men's, and women's sizes , for $20, and dry-fit hoodies for youth, men, and women, for $40. Both prices include tax and they will be accepting debit, credit, (visa/MC/amex), or cash. DVMS -- keeping your last-minute Christmas shopping needs in mind.
- Upper Elementary Clothing Drive: The Upper Elementary girls in the photo below -- dropping off the first load of toys you donated -- have caught the charitable spirit and have arranged a Winter Clothing Drive. Please donate gently used winter clothes like: socks, long sleeve shirts, sweaters, coats, pants, snow pants, mitts and gloves, boots, and hats. They are hoping to have donations in by Wednesday, Dec. 20. Each class will have a donation bin in the classroom. Thank you for your ongoing support of the children's charitable efforts.
- Holiday Toy Drive:
You are blowing us away with your donations to the Toy Drive to support the efforts of the local City Kidz organization. We have already delivered THREE FULL BAGS of toys that you donated. Donations can still be dropped off until Tuesday, Dec. 19.
We encourage you to involve your children in the selection and delivery of toys to donate -- they have abundant charitable, empathetic impulses at all ages. From City Kidz:
In 2016, we set a goal to give 4,000 local children a Christmas gift. Thanks to the generosity of the greater Hamilton community, we were able to bring Christmas to over 4,300 children last year! Additionally, gifts that arrived after the close of our toy drive, were used to provide birthday presents for children throughout the year. This year, we have once again identified 4,000 children in need, and have set a goal to provide all of them with the gift of Christmas. Please join us!CityKidz accepts new, unwrapped gifts for boys and girls from 0 to 12 years of age. Each year, children submit wish lists with the toys they would most like to receive. We’ve included a copy of their most popular requests in a toy wishlist to help guide you in your giving. You can download a copy of the wishlist below [click the link above, actually].We encourage you to donate and drop off your toy donations as soon as possible. This will help give our staff and volunteers the time needed to select, wrap, and deliver the perfect gift to the boys and girls in our community. Our toy drive will close on December 21st to ensure all Christmas gifts can be delivered on time.
- Maria Montessori Movie: You may have seen this on our Facebook Page this past week, but if you're not a 'bookie, you might enjoy "Extraordinary Women - Maria Montessori."
Maria Montessori was a woman of vision. In a remarkable life spanning eight decades, Maria Montessori challenged convention to pioneer a radical new system of education; one which focused on the child as an independent learner and which spread to all corners of the world, affecting the schooling of millions.
- Lost keys: These keys were found on the playground during recess this week. Anybody been locked out for a few days?
- Toddler Holiday Tea: The Toddler Community will be hosting a holiday tea for Moms and Dads on Thursday, Dec. 21, from 2:45-3:45, in the Toddler environment.
- Lost and Found: As we approach the end of the fall term, please take some time to have a good look through the lost and found. At the end of each term, any items remaining in the lost and found, that are not labeled, are donated (labeled items are returned to the lost and found). Next week, we will be displaying all of the lost and found items in the front hallway; please peruse during morning drop-off and/or afternoon pick-up.
Fun Family Events
Many of the seasonal events we have included here over the last couple of weeks are ongoing. Check the Hamilton Spectator event listings here, and the Tourism Hamilton listings here for other fun things taking place this weekend.
Enjoy the beauty of a mid-19th century family Christmas celebration at Dundurn Castle.The Garden Club of Hamilton decorates the Castle in Victorian splendor with cedar boughs, ribbons and dried flowers. Bring your family and share a Hamilton holiday tradition.
- Holiday Extravaganza: Sunday, Dec. 17, at McIntyre Performing Arts Centre, Mohawk College, 135 Fennell Avenue West, 10:00-12:00, for ages 2-12. Click here for info and tickets.
Join us as we celebrate the season with a variety of holiday-themed performances that will have the whole family feeling festive.Performances byZacada CircusBumbling Bert, the comedic magicianContortionistImage Party Place and their special charactersJunior Ticats CheerleadersPure Energy Dancers
- A Christmas Tradition Concert: Sunday, December 17, 3:00–5:00, St. Thomas the Apostle Church, 715 Centre Road, Waterdown. Info and tickets available here.
Special Christmas Concert: the Dofasco Male Chorus and the Canadian Orpheus Male Choir, including the Dofasco Ladies Choral Ensemble and the Burlington Concert Band Brass Ensemble, with guest artists Christine Chesebrough (violin), Shawn Oakes (recorder and tenor soloist), and Taylor Webb (bass).
This is the last set of photos of the fall term. Hope that you all enjoy these little glimpses into your children's days at school.As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with. [gallery size="large" type="slideshow" ids="21715,21716,21717,21718,21719,21722,21720,21721,21723,21724,21725,21726,21727,21728,21729,21730,21731,21732,21733,21734,21735,21736,21737,21738,21739,21740,21741,21742,21743,21744,21745,21746,21747,21748,21749,21750,21751,21752,21753,21754,21755,21756,21757,21758,21759,21760,21761,21762,21763,21764,21765,21766,21767,21768,21769,21770,21771,21772,21773,21774,21775,21776,21777,21778,21779,21780,21781,21782,21783,21784,21785,21786,21787,21791,21792,21793,21794"]