Events and Info at DVMS | Oct. 30-Nov. 3, 2017
- Friday, Nov. 3, is a PD Day. No School.
- Parent Dinner
- Lower gymnastics and yoga
- Upper dance
- Science Fair details
- Halloween at DVMS
- Nov. 15 Parent Education event
- Parent Observations and Interviews Nov. 20-24
- Family Halloween events for the weekend
Parent Dinner | Friday, Nov. 10
Strata and DVMS are built on a vision of students working together to create a community of learning, caring, and having fun.In that spirit, on Friday, Nov. 10, you will be both diners and chefs, making a pizza which will then be shared to all of our guests. This is your opportunity to be creative, to think about flavours, and to mingle.Our students will be working with Red Door Cucina to make the dough, the sauce, and to pick out a curious and delicious array of toppings -- from figs to feta, beets to bananas, mozzarella to mint, prosciutto to pear.Past and present students are coming together to organize this event, serve the pizzas, help with the cooking and serving, and cleaning up.The beer will be provided by one of our own family's brewing company -- Grain and Grit -- which had its official opening this week. (We are working on the wine).It is all different -- but it all makes sense. Please come and support our vision to make DVMS and Strata the best schools in the whole darn world.Tickets are $50/person and can be purchased via PayPal (use your PayPal account, or your credit card if you do not have PayPal), at DVMS or Strata (starting Monday, Oct. 23), or at the door.Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free diets can be accommodated, and there will be a cash bar.All proceeds will go towards supporting the ongoing development of Strata (a registered Canadian charity) as one of Canada's first and foremost Montessori middle schools.Click here or on the image above to visit the Parent Dinner page and to purchase tickets.
- There are no Elementary activities this week due to the PD Day on Friday, Nov. 3. Lower students will begin gymnastics or yoga on Nov. 10.
- There are no Elementary activities this week due to the PD Day on Friday, Nov. 3. Upper students will begin dance, at DVMS, on Nov. 10.
- Science Fair:
There is no Friday physical activity this week, but there is a Science Fair! The theme this year is "The Sun and the Earth," and the Science Fair will take place on Thursday, Nov. 2, from 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. in the DVMS gym, AND from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. in the Upper Elementary Montessori environments. DVMS students will visit during the morning (so this will be a busy time). Parents and the wider school community are welcome to visit the Science Fair in either the morning or the afternoon. We are asking that all boards, demonstration materials, and rough work be taken home with the students after the Science Fair on Nov. 2.
Information and Reminders
Halloween is on a school day this year, and it is a very exciting time of year for children. There’s candy! In order to maintain the integrity of our Montessori environments and work cycles, we ask that Halloween remains a fun family event and that costumes and candy remain at home for trick or treatin' fun with mom and dad, brothers and sisters, and friends. It’s tempting, we know, but they’ll still love you even if you don’t slip a few pieces of candy into their lunch or pockets at this time of year. Thank you, we appreciate your support and help with this very much.
- Fri. Nov. 3: PD Day. No School.: DVMS staff will be attending the Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators (CCMA) and Canadian Association of Montessori Teachers (CAMT) joint conference, "From Philosophy to Pedagogy to Practice."
- Parent Education Evening: Wed. Nov. 15, 5:30 - 7:00. "Montessori at Home and Digital Citizenship."
- Parent Observations and Interviews: Week of Nov. 20-24: (No School on Fri. Nov. 24). Sign-ups to come.
Fun Family Events
- Haunted Halloween: Into the Woods: Fri. Oct. 27 and Sat. Oct. 28, 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. at Westfield Heritage Village, 1049 Kirkwall Road, Rockton. Click here for event website.
In traditional fairy tales, the forest is the setting for mystery, adventure and, often, the unexpected. Westfield Heritage Village is taking its cue from these traditional stories and invites you to take part in a special Halloween celebration that will take place on two evenings – Friday October 27th and Saturday October 28th from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.For these two evenings only, Westfield’s already beautiful forest trails are being transformed into a magical nighttime experience. Choose a pathway and enjoy a delightful Pumpkin Walk, sparkling Illuminated Forest and unique Fairy Village.In the historic village, there will be so much to see and do!
- Enter a barn and experience the wonder of a traditional shadow play.
- Take a seat in the one room schoolhouse and make a craft featuring a very special white cow.
- Set out on a scavenger hunt to search for Cinderella’s golden slipper, Red Riding Hood’s Cape and more.
- Visit the broom makers in their shop, then step next door to meet Mastro Geppetto at his workbench.
- Little ones will enjoy strapping on some fairy wings and dancing under twinkling lights in the bandstand.
While this is an all-ages event, two clearly marked areas are for the very brave only. Journey to the Haunted Train Station for some heart-pounding fun or venture over the covered bridge to a little place in the woods where nature seems to have taken a wrong turn.The Ancaster Lions will be serving reasonably priced, delicious snacks and warm drinks at the Ironwood Hall.Buy your tickets in online in advance here! Tickets also available at the gate.
- Scarecrow Saturday: Downtown Dundas, Saturday, Oct. 28, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Cross St & King St W, Dundas.
Costume Parade with Dundas Pipes & Drums.Meet up at 10:30am for the starting in front of Eccles Auto Service Parking Lot at 121 King St W for a walk along King Street to Grafton SquareFree treats and refreshments at Grafton Square including pumpkin pie and apple cider.Free Horse and Trolley Rides:Pick up location The Collins Brewhouse 33 King St., W.Singin' & Swingin' Concert by Jude Johnson and Carl Horton at Grafton Square.
- Fright in the Forest:
- Family Fun Day: Spooky Celebrations: At the Art Gallery of Hamilton, 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m., Sunday, October 29. Click here for more.
Family Time Tour and Hands-on Art Making Fun: Spooky Celebrations. AGH Members FreeNon Members $5.00 per family (2 adults and up to 4 children)Please pay on arrival. Gallery admission not included.
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.