Events and Info at DVMS | Sept. 17-21, 2017
- The important September events
- WELCOME BACK PICNIC IS SATURDAY
- Calendars and notifications
- Lower swimming
- Upper adventures
- Parent Education Event: The Adolescent Brain
- FREE speech therapy screenings
- Shoes and Socks
- Menu Update
- Terry Fox
- Telling Tales
- Binbrook Fair
- Fall Migration
- Walk for Down Syndrome
Important Events to Start the Year
- Saturday, September 15, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.: Welcome Back to School Picnic at DVMS
IT'S LOOKIN' GOOD! This event has been rained for a number of years but Saturday is looking good! This is a fun picnic day on the playground to welcome everyone back to school and give you time to renew old acquaintances and meet some of the other wonderful families who have chosen an authentic Montessori education for their children. Bring a picnic lunch, chairs and/or blankets, and post up under the trees for food, fun, and friends.SEE YOU ALL TOMORROW
- Monday, September 25, and Tuesday, September 26: School Photo Days. More details will come regarding which day to polish them up. Photos will once again be taken by the wonderful Lindsay Palmer , one of your fellow Montessori Moms.
- Tuesday, September 26, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Lower Elementary South New Student Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please sign up for your 10 minute time slot online.
Parents of new Lower Elementary South (Noeleen and Christine) students (both new, first-year Lower Elementary children and new-to-DVMS Lower Elementary children) are asked to attend a 10-minute introductory meeting with their Montessori guides on Tuesday, Sept. 26. Class lists were emailed on August 16 if you are unsure of which Montessori environment your child is in.
- Wednesday, September 27, and Thursday, September 28: Toddler Community New Student Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please sign up online.
Parents of new Toddler Community children are asked to attend a 20-minute introductory meeting with their Montessori guides in the late-afternoon/early-evening on either Wednesday, Sept. 27, or Thursday, Sept. 28.
- Thursday, September 28, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Lower Elementary North New Student Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please sign up for your 10 minute time slot online.
Parents of new Lower Elementary North (Jodi and Kathleen) students (both new, first-year Lower Elementary children and new-to-DVMS Lower Elementary children) are asked to attend a 10-minute introductory meeting with their Montessori guides on Thursday, Sept. 28. Class lists were emailed on August 16 if you are unsure of which Montessori environment your child is in.
Calendars and Notifications: In an effort to reduce the number of automated event emails the DVMS community is receiving, we have removed notifications for the Elementary activities. Look for emails directly from your child's Montessori environment with reminders for upcoming activities. All events are still available on the calendar at dvms.ca.We have added each elementary classroom's events to their classroom specific calendars and strongly encourage you to subscribe to your child(ren)'s classroom calendar(s) [ie. make it viewable on your own calendar]. Instructions on how to do so for the most common calendar types are as follows:
- Google (Gmail) (Select "Add using a link")
- Outlook (Under "Subscribe to Google Calendar," start at step 5 and paste the relevant iCal address from below)
- Calendar for Mac
- iPhone/iPad: using your device, click on the relevant iCal link below and select "Subscribe" if it is the correct calendar. On the next screen, select "Done". (Updating to the most recent iOS version first is recommended).
To subscribe to the calendars using any of the procedures above, you will need to copy and paste (or click for iPhone/iPad as above) the correct classroom calendar's iCal (internet Calendar) address (URL):Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Kathleen): https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/lowerelementarynorth%40dvms.ca/public/basic.icsLower Elementary South (Noeleen/Christine):https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/lowerelementarysouth%40dvms.ca/public/basic.icsUpper Elementary East (Terrence/Catherine): https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/upperelementaryeast%40dvms.ca/public/basic.icsUpper Elementary West (Kathleen/Michael):https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/upperelementarywest%40dvms.ca/public/basic.ics
As always, all DVMS families are asked to please make the main calendar at dvms.ca your go to source for all events and information. If you would like to add that calendar, it's iCal URL is: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/admin%40dvms.ca/public/basic.ics
- Swimming: Lower Elementary students will be walking to and from the Dundas Community Pool where they will participate in weekly swimming lessons until the end of October. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they able to easily and securely carry themselves.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Christine) will swim on Mondays: Lower South children will swim on Monday, Sept. 11, 18, and 25, and Oct. 2, 16, and 23. (Monday, Oct. 9, is Thanksgiving).
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Kathleen) will swim on Fridays: Lower North students will swim on Friday, Sept. 15, 22, and 29, and Oct. 13, 20, and 27. (Friday, Oct. 6, is Elementary Field trip day).
Upper ElementaryTo start the school year, Upper Elementary students will be participating in a variety of activities in the Hamilton area:
- Friday, Sept. 22: Observing Humans in a Human Environment and Hamilton Walking Tour. Upper Elementary students will travel by city bus to downtown Hamilton where they will begin their adventures at the Hamilton Public Library. They will depart from DVMS, so please drop off at the regular time. The day will consist of observations that will lead into a "This is Hamilton" project. Students will also have photography lessons and embark on a walking tour including the Art Gallery of Hamilton, James Street North, and Bayfront Park, among other interesting aspects of Hamilton they may not be aware of; the walking tour will also involve map reading skills. Students will return to DVMS, by city bus, in time for regular dismissal. All students will require a packed picnic litterless lunch and weather appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
Information and Reminders
- Parent Education Event: The Adolescent Brain: At Strata Montessori Adolescent School, Thursday, Sept. 21, 5:00-6:30. This event is for parents of DVMS year 5 and 6 Upper Elementary students and all Strata families. Childcare, including pizza, will be provided by Strata students at no cost; please fill out the food sensitivities/allergies field on the registration form if you will be bringing children for care. Please RSVP by Wednesday, Sept. 20.
Say goodbye to the child you have known, and say hello to a more mercurial, creative, self-centred individual; one that will make your life far more interesting in many ways.For adolescents to thrive, we need to respect the profound capabilities, their creative and open minds, their willingness to take chances, and their self-centred relationship with the world.We need to understand them, challenge them, and offer them a vision of their best self.We need to understand the adolescent brain.Find out why Montessori’s vision for adolescent education is the best possible method for allowing your adolescent to thrive.
- Free Speech Therapy Screenings: DVMS has as ongoing relationship with Anderson Speech Consultants. On Thursday, Sept. 21, Anderson will be offering free speech screenings for children that any parents or DVMS guides feel would benefit. If you would like to take advantage of this offering, or if your child's guide recommends it, please read and/or download, print, and complete Speech Therapy Screening Information, Speech Therapy Consent for Screening, and Speech Therapy Consent for Release (if you would prefer to pick up a hard copy of these forms, please just pop into the office). Please let us know by Monday, Sept. 18. If you have any other questions, please contact Mairi at firstname.lastname@example.org
- McMaster Neo-Natal Intensive Care Book Donations: One of your fellow Montessori Moms sits on the Family Advisory Council at McMaster Children's Hospital and has let us know that the neo-natal intensive care unit (NICU) is looking to put together a library of children's books. They are asking for infant books to build their library. Parents of babies in NICU are encouraged to read to the babies in the incubators, but they only have 5 books on the ward at the moment. Forming a connection to newborns when they cannot be handled is very important, and it is important for the babies to hear voices as a form of stimulation while they are in the incubators. They would like to be able to eventually offer a lending library to their families, so we are hoping the DVMS community can take some time to sort through those piles of books and get them off to a great start. There is a donation box in the foyer.
- Shoes and Socks: The weather is still nice, but please remember that children need to wear closed-toe shoes and socks to school every day for safety and hygiene purposes. Thank you.
- Hot Lunch Menu Updated: We are continuing to work with our new hot lunch program caterer to refine the menu based on the children's responses. There have been a few changes. You can find the Hot Lunch menu here. Check the calendar at dvms.ca to stay up to date on which week of the menu rotation we are on.
Fun Family Events
- Welcome Back to School Picnic at DVMS: Saturday, September 16, 11:00 – 1:00. You know all about this one. And it will not rain!
- Dundas Terry Fox Run: The Dundas Terry Fox Run is Sunday, Sept. 17, at Driving Park.
Run Day DetailsRegistration: 8:00 amKids' Fun Run: 9:00 amOne Start: 9:15 amLocation: Dundas Driving Park - Parkview RowParking is availableWhat to bring: water bottle for refilling waterKids corner, face painting, snacks and water stations will be provided
Route InformationBicycle, Stroller, and Wheelchair accessible.Route distance: 1 km - Kids Run; 5 km - Adult Run.
- Telling Tales: A Festival of Stories: Sunday, September 17, 10:00 - 4:00, at Westfield Heritage Village. Click here for event website.
Designated one of the province’s “Top 100” by Festivals and Events Ontario, this is a free event celebrating Canada’s leading children’s writers and illustrators. Meet authors, artists and musicians and take part in the popular Book Swap and Shop. Free parking at Rockton Fairgrounds with complimentary shuttle service to Westfield. (Please note there is no parking at Westfield.)
- Binbrook Fall Fair: September 15-17, 2600 Regional Road #56, Binbrook, L0R 1C0. Click here for more.
Many things to do and see for the whole family including Canada's #1 Demolition Derby. Farm Animals, Birds of Prey, Commercial Exhibits, Midway Rides, Live Entertainment for All Ages and more.
- Fall Migration Fest: Saturday, Sept. 16, 10:00-3:00. At the Royal Botanical Gardens Arboretum, 16 Old Guelph Rd, Hamilton. Click for details.
Before our feathered and fluttering friends head south, join us for a weekend of exploration, hands-on activities, special guests, and fun for everyone! There is lots to see and do at the Arboretum as we celebrate autumn!*Fall Migration Fest will take place rain or shine. In the event of poor weather conditions, activities will be held in the Nature Interpretive Centre at the Arboretum
- 5th Annual Hamilton Walk for Down Syndrome: Sunday, October 1, 8:30 - 12:00, Bayfront Park, 200 Harbour Front Drive, Hamilton. This event is near and dear to us as one of your fellow Montessori Moms is the chair of the Down Syndrome Association of Hamilton and her son Owen is a student at DVMS. We encourage you to participate in the walk, and you can support Team Owen by clicking right here.