Events and Info: June 5 - 9, 2017, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
This Week:DVMS/Strata Benefit and AuctionCasa 1st and 2nd Year InterviewsCasa 3rd-year SleepoverLower UltimateUpper TennisUpper and Lower Camping InfoJoanna Had a Baby!Summer CampsYearbookEnd of Year DatesAuctionChildren's ChoirAdult's ChoirBuskerfestHorse RescuePlane PullLots and Lots of Photos
Casa 1st and 2nd Year Student Interviews
- Parents of children completing their 1st or 2nd year are welcome to sign up for a Parent-Teacher interview. Interviews will take place during the week of June 5-9. Children completing Casa (third-year students) will have a written report coming home at the end of the year.
Casa 3rd Year Sleepover
- Third Year Casa Sleepover: Children finishing their third year of the Casa program will be spending the night at DVMS on Friday, June 9, camping in the gym. Look for a letter that was sent home with your child today (or ask your child’s Casa guide on Monday if the letter went the way of magical mystery missing things). A few pertinent details:
- Please resist the temptation to pop in after school on Friday for last minute hugs and kisses as this can lead to unhappy children.
- Pick up is at 9:00 a.m. sharp on Saturday morning, outside if weather is permitting.
- Please do not bring flashlights or any electronics.
- Lower Elementary Ultimate: Lower Elementary students will be completing Ultimate Frisbee on Friday, June 9. Please help them remember to bring or wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing and footwear. This is their last Friday activity of the year! See below for information about their camping trip the following week.
- Upper Elementary Tennis: Upper Elementary students have their last tennis session at the Dundas Tennis Club, located in Dundas’s Driving Park, on Friday, June 9. If your child has a tennis racket, please have them bring it; if not, DVMS will supply rackets. Tennis-playin’-appropriate clothing and shoes, and their water bottles, are also required.
- Upper Elementary West (Kathleen) will play tennis on Friday mornings. Please drop your Upper West child off at Driving Park between 8:30-9:00 on tennis days. They will walk back to DVMS for lunch.
- Upper Elementary East (Terrence) will play tennis on Friday afternoons. They will have an early lunch and walk to Driving Park for 1:00. They will walk back to DVMS for dismissal at 3:45. If you would like to pick your child up from Driving Park, please be there no later than 3:00.
Elementary Camping Trips
- Lower Elementary students will be heading to Camp Nokomis from June 15 – 16, in Fergus, ON.
- Children will require a sleeping bag, so if it’s packed away or at the cottage you have some time to track it down. [Note: the cabins at Nokomis are not heated (or air conditioned), so warm PJs, maybe a toque; OR light PJs, and a light sleeping bag; please check the forecast].
- Camp Nokomis provides catering for their meals and dietary issues have already been communicated to them.
- All electronic devices are to be left at home.
- Their bus will depart DVMS at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, June 15. They will leave Camp Nokomis at approximately 2:30 on Friday, June 16, in order to be back at DVMS for around 4:00 pm.
- A packing list came home with your Lower Elementary child today (Friday, June 2). If it managed to go missing between here and there, please let us know.
- A child-specific info form will come home with your child on Monday, June 5. Please return it to DVMS by Friday, June 9.
- Upper Elementary students will be heading to Rocky Ridge Ranch from June 14 – 16, in Milton, ON. More details and a packing list will be arriving soon:
- Children will require a sleeping bag, so if it’s packed away or at the cottage you have some time to track it down.
- Rocky Ridge Ranch provides catering for their meals and dietary issues have already been communicated to them.
- The children will need a litter-less packed lunch on the first day.
- All electronic devices are to be left at home.
- Their bus will depart DVMS at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, June 14.
- They will leave Rocky Ridge during the early afternoon of Friday, June 16, in order to be back at DVMS for around 4:00 pm.
But wait, there's more:
- Joanna Had a Baby: Lower Elementary South Montessori guide Joanna had her baby! Joanna and her husband, Michael, are proud to announce the birth of their son, Henry Milton Blackwell Churm (9 lbs, 2 oz) on Thursday, May 25. He is a happy, healthy, and hungry little boy, already adored by his two big sisters, Elora and Penelope. We think they may have a third red-head in the family!
Summer Camp Info
- DVMS Summer Casa Camps: DVMS Summer Casa Camp is open to children who have completed their first year of Casa (approx. age 3 1/2 to 6). Half day and full day options are available. Cost is $140/week for half days and $250/week for full days. Once you have submitted your form, please come into DVMS to sign the hard copy and drop off payment by June 21 (or post dated cheques for each camp week). You can register for DVMS Summer Casa Camp by clicking here.
- Summer Camp Counselor Positions: Year 6 Upper Elementary students are welcome, if they wish, to submit resumes to Kathleen to apply for a camp counselor position for one of the 8 camp weeks at DVMS this summer. If they get through the first stage, there will be an interview with Kathleen. These positions are open to Strata students too, so competition may be fierce!
- Dundas Valley School of Art Camp: A “Before Summer Art Camp” for Dundas Valley Montessori students ages 4+ — for the week between end of school and beginning of DVMS Summer Casa Camps. More info and online registration can be found here (from the “Classes” dropdown menu, select “Summer Camps” and add either the morning or afternoon, or both for full days, “Head StART! A Montessori Program” options to your cart). Click the image below for larger version of their info poster. From DVSA:
Taught by qualified, professional artists, our Summer Art Camps encourage originality and are designed to develop your child’s creative literacy and art skills – all in a fun and supportive studio environment. Let your young artist explore and create at their own pace, free to choose what they want to express at a variety of creative stations that include Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture/Building projects and much more.
- Yearbook: The Yearbook Club is hard at work designing this year’s edition. It’s going to be a beautiful 80-page hardcover book this year and you can pre-order online until June 7 for $45 at dvms.fluidmedia.com; orders after that will be $60. Not only will you receive a handsome keepsake, but you’ll also have access to the Digital Edition that features extended photos, videos, and music that you can playback on the computing device of your choice. Ordering only takes a minute, and the books will arrive during the last week of school for signing.
- End of Year Dates and BBQ: Happy June! Another school year is suddenly almost over. The last full day of school this year is Thursday, June 22. The annual DVMS Family BBQ will be on Friday, June 23. More details to come.
- Auction: Similar to previous years, as part of our fundraiser evening, we will be hosting a silent auction and raffle. In the past, our auction has been very successful due to the generous donations of our families and local businesses. It is a huge component of our fundraising drive.Perhaps you own a business that could donate a service or product for our auction, or have a connection in the community that you would be willing to reach out to on our behalf. We would greatly appreciate any support you can give.A favourite is always the Bucket O' Booze raffle, and donations of bottles to fill the bucket (or even bucketS?), are wonderful items.On behalf of all the staff and students of Strata Montessori and DVMS, we thank you in advance for your donations to come, and for all of the fabulous donations so far.
Fun Family Events:
- Hamilton Children's Choir FREE Show for DVMS Families: The Children's Choir is putting on a special concert called "Just Listen." One of your fellow DVMS parents is involved and DVMS families are invited to attend the dress rehearsal performance at 3:00 on Saturday, June 3, at Christ’s Church Cathedral, 252 James St. N. (Don't worry about the cancelled matinee performance notice if you visit the link). Just tell them you're from DVMS. There is also a performance at 7:30 that evening (not free, but well worth it).
- Hamilton Choir Project's Spring Songs -- An Evening of A Capella Music: Lower Elementary French Specialist (and Lower Elementary South maternity leave coverage Montessori guide) Michael Rode is the artistic director of the Hamilton Choir Project. This performance will take place at the Church of St. John the Evangelist, 320 Charlton Ave. (at Locke), on Saturday, June 10, at 8:00 p.m. Admission is by cash donation at the door.
- Dundas International Buskerfest: June 2, 3, and 4. Click here for details and info.
This year we’re all about SPECTACLE! Trapeze rigs and coconut trees, stacked chairs and giant unicycles—Build it high, build it big, build it best in honor of Canada150! We welcome performers from across Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.
Horse Rescue Ontario & Sanctuary Open House: Saturday, June 3, 9:00-4:00, at 628 Ofield Road North, Waterdown.
15th Annual Open House (and annual fundraiser on June 3 and 4 featuring activities for all ages with a focus on family fun. The BBQ is always popular, as is face painting, tarot card reading, horse demonstrations and a kid corner. Also, lots of interaction with the horses and their friends.
Miracle Plane Pull 2017: Sunday, June 4, 10:00-3:00, at Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, 9280 Airport Road, Hamilton.
The 5th annual Miracle Plane Pull for McMaster Children’s Hospital will be held at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport on Sunday, June 4, 2017. This exciting event brings together nearly 1,000 people from across the region who are eager to join with friends to test their strength, enjoy a unique event with many interactive elements and support a good cause (donations will be accepted at the event!). Free to watch. To pull a plane and for more info, register online (online registration closed, but you can register in person at the event).
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
As you know from last week, those children moving up to the next Montessori level started visiting the environments at their next level. We tried to capture some moments from their visits this past week, so look for your movin' up children in different Montessori rooms and working with different Montessori guides. There are also plenty of pics as always of your Montessori munchkins Montessori'n their ways through their days.