Events and Info: May 29 - June 2, 2017, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
Summer Camp Stuff
Grandparents' Day Photos
Strata Seedling Sale
Movin' On Up
Bike to School on Monday
The Art of Parenting
Made in Dundas Festival
Trains, Boats, and Meccano
Summer Camp Info
- DVMS Summer Casa Camps: DVMS Summer Casa Camp is open to children who have completed their first year of Casa (approx. age 3 1/2 to 6). Half day and full day options are available. Cost is $140/week for half days and $250/week for full days. Once you have submitted your form, you must come into DVMS to sign the hard copy and drop off payment (or post dated cheques for each camp week).You can register for DVMS Summer Casa Camp by clicking here.
- Summer Camp Counselor Positions: Year 6 Upper Elementary students are welcome, if they wish, to submit resumes to Kathleen to apply for a camp counselor position for one of the 8 camp weeks at DVMS this summer. If they get through the first stage, there will be an interview with Kathleen. These positions are open to Strata students too, so competition may be fierce!
- Dundas Valley School of Art Camp: A “Before Summer Art Camp” for Dundas Valley Montessori students ages 4+ — for the week between end of school and beginning of DVMS Summer Casa Camps. More info and online registration can be found here (from the “Classes” dropdown menu, select “Summer Camps” and add either the morning or afternoon, or both for full days, “Head StART! A Montessori Program” options to your cart. Click the image below for larger version of their info poster. From DVSA:
Taught by qualified, professional artists, our Summer Art Camps encourage originality and are designed to develop your child’s creative literacy and art skills – all in a fun and supportive studio environment. Let your young artist explore and create at their own pace, free to choose what they want to express at a variety of creative stations that include Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture/Building projects and much more.
- Lower Elementary Ultimate: Lower Elementary students will be playing Ultimate Frisbee, at DVMS, beginning on Friday, May 26, and continuing on June 2 and 9. Please help them remember to bring or wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing and footwear. This is their last Friday activity of the year! Once Ultimate ends, they go camping the following week, then it’s the last week of school.
- Upper Elementary Tennis: Upper Elementary students began tennis at the Dundas Tennis Club, located in Dundas’s Driving Park, on Friday, May 26, and they will continue every Friday to June 9. If your child has a tennis racket, please have them bring it; if not, DVMS will supply rackets. Tennis-playin’-appropriate clothing and shoes, and their water bottles, are also required.
- Upper Elementary West (Kathleen) will play tennis on Friday mornings. Please drop your Upper West child off at Driving Park between 8:30-9:00 on tennis days. They will walk back to DVMS for lunch.
- Upper Elementary East (Terrence) will play tennis on Friday afternoons. They will have an early lunch and walk to Driving Park for 1:00. They will walk back to DVMS for dismissal at 3:45. If you would like to pick your child up from Driving Park, please be there no later than 3:00.
But wait, there's more:
- Grandparents' Day: What an absolutely adorable morning!
[gallery ids="17132,17133,17134,17135,17136,17137,17138,17139,17140,17141,17142,17143,17144,17145,17146,17147,17148,17149,17150,17151,17152,17153,17154,17155,17156,17157,17158,17159,17160,17161,17162,17163,17164,17165,17166,17167,17168,17169,17170,17171,17172,17173,17174,17175,17176,17177,17178,17179,17180,17181,17182,17183,17184,17185,17186,17187,17188,17189,17190,17191,17192,17193,17194,17195,17196,17197,17198,17199,17200,17201,17202,17203,17204,17205,17206,17207,17208,17209,17210,17211,17212,17213" type="slideshow"]
- Strata Seedling Sale, at DVMS!: The Strata seedling sale is continuing next week. On Monday, May 29, the Strata adolescents will be at DVMS from 3:30-4:30 with two kinds of lettuce seedlings, kale, and cucumbers. Strata seedlings are 1 for $2.00 or 4 for $6.00.
- Movin’ On Up, May 29-June 1: DVMS Montessori students who are moving up to the next level in September will be spending a few mornings visiting and working in Montessori environments at their new level. They will visit all environments at the next level. Be sure to ask them about their big adventures.
- Toddler children moving to Casa have begun visiting the Casa environments to gather Casa materials to work with in their familiar Toddler Community space.
- Year 6 Upper Elementary students will visit Strata Montessori on Monday, May 29, Tuesday, May 30, and Thursday, June 1. Please drop your Upper child off at Strata for a full day; Strata’s day runs from 8:30-4:00. [NOTE: on the Monday, they will be canoeing in the morning with Strata Guides. Barring lightning, this event will be rain or shine so please dress appropriately and pack a lunch; they will be provided lunch at Strata on the other days].
- Yearbook: The Yearbook Club is hard at work designing this year’s edition. It’s going to be a beautiful 80-page hardcover book this year and you can pre-order today for $45 online at dvms.fluidmedia.com . Not only will you receive a handsome keepsake, but you’ll also have access to the Digital Edition that features extended photos, videos, and music that you can playback on the computing device of your choice. Ordering only takes a minute, and the books will arrive during the last week of school for signing.
Fun Family Events:
- DVMS Family Movie Night: Some of our 5th-year Upper Elementary Montessori students are organizing a Family Movie Night, at DVMS, on Friday, June 2, from 5:45-8:15. They will be showing the movie Boss Baby. Admission to movie night is now by donation, and they will also be selling pizza slices, candy cups, chips, popcorn, fruit punch, and water. All proceeds will go to the McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation. All family members are invited to attend and you are welcome to bring blankets and pillows and wear PJs. Elementary children may be dropped off to attend with their friends if you are comfortable doing so; Casa and Toddler children must have at least one parent attend with them. Please let the students know if you will be coming by filling in this quick attendance and pizza form.
- Bike to School (and work): Monday, May 29, is "Bike to Work Day." We encourage all those who are able to bike to school on Monday (and any other nice day). Click here for more info on the city-sponsored event.
- The Art of Parenting: Original Work by Acclaimed Children’s Book Illustrators: Click here for details.
The Art of Parenting is an unusual opportunity to see and purchase original illustrations by these acclaimed children’s book authors and illustrators. Meet the artist/authors including Barbara Reid at the opening reception for this show, Friday, June 2, 7-9:30pm in the Carnegie Gallery TBA Atrium Artspace.
- Farm Crawl: Saturday, May 27, 10:00-4:00. Click here for more info.
Farm Crawl is an opportunity to get an inside look at the operations of many different farms in Hamilton and the surrounding area. The Crawl includes a wide variety of farms who represent a range of farming practices and products in Hamilton and the surrounding area.Participants can see and learn about organic vegetables, honey bees, permaculture farming, herbs, lavender, hostas, berries, local wine, and many types of farm animals such as cows, chickens, pigs and alpacas.Participants drive from farm to farm, choosing the order they visit the farms and spending as much time as they would like at each farm.
- Made in Dundas Community Family Festival: Saturday, May 27, 11:00-3:00. Click here for details.
Featuring wagon rides through Dundas, a printing press from Mackenzie House, Historic Dundas firetrucks, a DVSA Print Studio, iPad Super Scavenger Hunts, and more!
- Trains, Boats, and Meccano in the Park!: Saturday, May 27, to Sunday, May 28, 11:00 to 4:00. Free event and museum admission at the Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology.
The museum is pleased to welcome hobby enthusiasts all weekend long. Catch a ride on miniature coal-burning steam-powered trains with the Golden Horsehoe Live Steamers. The Confederation Marine Modellers and friends will be demonstrating a variety of radio-controlled model boats and the Canadian Modeling Association for Meccano and Allied Systems (CMAMAS) will be here for its annual Meccano Day demonstrating their models. All ages. Free event and museum admission.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
This week, we tried to focus on the wonderful DVMS staff in our photos -- them working with your equally wonderful children, working with each other, and making funny faces:[gallery ids="17217,17218,17219,17220,17221,17222,17223,17224,17225,17226,17227,17228,17229,17230,17231,17232,17233,17234,17235,17236,17237,17238,17239,17240,17241,17242,17243,17244,17245,17246,17247,17248,17249,17250,17251,17252,17253,17254,17255,17256,17257,17258,17259,17260,17261,17262,17263,17264,17265,17266,17267,17268,17269,17270,17271,17272,17273,17274,17275,17276,17277,17278,17279,17280,17281,17282,17283,17284,17285,17286,17287,17288,17289,17290,17291" type="slideshow"]