Events and Info: May 1 - 5, 2017, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
Casa Field Trip is Friday, May 5Also in this week's "Events and Info":Lower ZumbaUpper Ultimate (and summer league)Upper SpeechesMMUN UpdatePink Eye!Upper Mothers' Day TeaThe Princess BrideA Bake Sale!Strata Supper Club 2: Asian SensationStrata's NEW Local, Organic CaféHot Lunch Spring MenuGrandparents' DayPlants
Casa Field Trip Friday May 5
At Beamer Memorial Conservation Area, on Quarry Rd., in Grimsby, from 10:00 – 12:00. All DVMS Casa students will spend the morning at Beamer, with their parents and their Montessori guides. (If you are not able to attend, parents will often arrange with another family to bring their child; please let us know if we can help coordinate).This will be a spring hike to enjoy nature. This will not be a guided tour, just a hike of this world-renowned official Important Bird Area, including the hawk watch tower (bring binoculars if you wish). Beamer is “Renowned as the best vantage point in the Niagara Peninsula to observe the annual spring hawk migration.”What to bring: Hiking shoes, water bottles, and a packed lunch and blankets to eat at the picnic area as a group after the hike (not mandatory but there is nothing available on site).Notes:*Parking available.*Younger siblings are welcome to accompany you.*Wheelchair and stroller accessible.*Washrooms available, but outhouse style.*There is no running water on site.*No rain date. If it is raining on the day of the field trip, we will make a call the morning of and let you know; if it is cancelled, it will be a regular school day at DVMS.*Map to Beamer.*There is no school in the afternoon following the field trip.
- Lower Elementary Zumba: Lower Elementary students are participating in Zumba, at DVMS, with Maria Isabel Garcia Castro of Maisa Fitness, who has been leading these high-energy classes at DVMS for a number of years. Their remaining Zumba are on the afternoons of Friday, May 5 and 12. Please ensure children wear or bring clothing they can move and groove in on Zumba days.
- Upper Elementary Ultimate: Upper Elementary students are continuing Ultimate frisbee, at DVMS, on Friday, May 5 and 12. Please help them remember to bring or wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing and footwear (lightning is the only thing that stops Ultimate!) and their water bottle.
- Summer Ultimate League for Elementary-Aged Kids: There is free ultimate practice every Friday Night, at DVMS, until the end of the year for any Elementary students interested in learning how to play and get ready for summer Youth Ultimate League. We have two coaches from the McMaster Touring Ultimate team helping out. There is no charge for this activity. All Upper and Lower Elementary students are welcome to join the summer Youth Ultimate League. Contact Tony at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Upper Elementary Speeches: All Upper students will be giving speeches as extensions of the MMUN work: Kathleen’s class, Upper Elementary West, on Wednesday, May 10, and Terrence’s class, Upper Elementary East, on Thursday, May 11. Speeches will begin at 9:30 a.m. on both days and the presentation order will be determined on speech day; the speech presentations are expected to last approximately one hour each day. As always, parents are welcome to attend and we ask that, if you do attend to view the speeches, please plan to stay for the entire set of speeches (9:30-10:30). The children are often nervous and having audience members move in and out of the gym during their speeches can be a distraction. Thank you for understanding.
- MMUN Update: Over the past week, the sixth-year Upper Elementary students have been busy as they continue to prepare for their trip to the Montessori Model United Nations conference in May. This past week they held their first mock meeting (below) where they read through a script to learn how UN meetings are run with points of order rules. They also had their most successful Kids' Cafe this past Thursday to help with the trip fundraising. Thank you all so much! There are two more cafes to go; let's try to make each week's the best yet for them.
But wait, there's more:
- Pink Eye: There have been a number of confirmed cases of pink eye recently. Pink eye is common in school settings and is easily spread. Click here for info from the Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS). Both the CPS and Hamilton Public Health require children with bacterial pink eye (it can also be viral) to remain away from school until they have completed 24 hours of antibiotic treatment. Wash those hands!
- Upper Elementary Mother's Day Tea: Both Upper Elementary classes will be hosting their wonderful moms for lovely tea and treats on Monday, May 15, from 10:00-11:30. We hope all the Upper Elementary moms can find time to drop in for some well-deserved love and appreciation.
- The Princess Bride: Some Upper Elementary East students ventured to the RBG's Arboretum this week to film their version of The Princess Bride:
[gallery ids="16084,16086,16087,16088" type="slideshow"]
- Bake Sale!: On Tuesday, May 2, the Lower Elementary children will be holding a Harry Potter themed lunchtime bake sale for their Lower classmates. Baked goods will be $0.50-$1.00 and proceeds will go to the Lower Elementary Community fund to be dispersed at the end of the year.
- Strata Supper Club 2: Asian Sensation: Come join us at Strata for a night of Asian cuisine on Friday, April 28, from 6:30 - 10:00. Our first supper was a grand success -- sold out and a good time had by all.We are now one step (or flight) closer to our goal. We're raising money to help send our third year students to the Montessori Education for Social Change Conference in Prague. This is a follow up to the International Summit that is happening at Strata Montessori School in April. The students will be delivering a manifesto on Food Justice. You can learn more about the conference here. The 2nd supper will be an Asian Sensation -- a night to celebrate a diverse appetite. The cost is $75 per person and will include cuisine from 4 different countries: chicken satay from Thailand, dumplings from China, sushi from Japan, and phö from Vietnam. We will also be offering a specialty cocktail, and wine and beer pairings. Vegetarian and gluten free options are also available.There are only 25 seats available so book early! (Only a few tickets remain!)
- Strata's NEW Local & Organic Café:
- Hot Lunch Spring Menu: The spring menu for the hot lunch program has begun. Updated menus are available on the hot lunch page at dvms.ca, and posted on the bulletin board in the foyer.
- Grandparents' Day Friday May 26: A heads up to start any logistical work required -- Grandparents day is coming up at the end of May. This day is always a bit chaotic, but more fun than every other day. Grandparents are welcome to visit their grandchildren in their Montessori environments during the morning work cycle. Timeslot sign-ups and more details next week. Please note: The Toddler Community is not a part of Grandparents' Day -- many much tears when grandparents leave :(
Fun Family Events:
Seems like a quiet weekend for organized events and activities, but it is the time of year to spend time in the garden. If you and the kids plan to get outside and into the dirt (and the weather cooperates), this RBG event might be a good starting point:
RBG Plant Faire: Saturday, April 29, 10:00 - 3:00, RBG Rock Garden1185 York Boulevard, Hamilton ON, free admission:
RBG is proud to present its first annual Plant Faire, a great way to get a head start on the gardening season, find unique plants for your home garden, and speak to passionate gardening professionals.
- Vendors featuring unique seeds, specialty plants and native plants
- RBG ROYALSELECT™ plants
- Educational presentations on the hour and half-hour
- Displays by plant societies and horticultural groups
- Children’s activities
- Expert information about gardening and plants
- Food and drink
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Back to our regularly scheduled photo programming this week. Enjoy![gallery ids="16104,16105,16106,16107,16108,16109,16110,16111,16112,16113,16114,16115,16116,16117,16118,16119,16120,16121,16122,16123,16124,16125,16126,16127,16128,16129,16130,16131,16132,16133,16134,16135,16136,16137,16138,16139,16140,16141,16142,16143,16144,16145,16146,16148,16149,16150,16151,16152,16153,16154,16155,16156,16157,16158,16159,16160,16161,16162,16163,16164,16165,16166,16167,16168,16169,16171,16172,16170,16173,16174,16208,16209" type="slideshow"]