Events and Info: April 17 - 21, 2017, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
https://youtu.be/xI1ShY-zKusWe are very happy to present a special treat for you all this week: the next in the series of Montessori Morning videos created by DVMS Montessori Mom Lindsay Palmer. This time, Lindsay spent a morning in the DVMS Toddler Community. Get your "awww"s and your "WOW!"s ready.Thank you Lindsay, and thank you to our DVMS Montessori Toddler Community guides Kate, Kristy, and Lisa for creating such a beautiful, authentic Montessori environment for our littlest Montessori munchkins.We want to keep showing the world what Montessori is all about and would love it if you shared the video. The following links can be used to post or share:Facebook: https://business.facebook.com/DVMSbook/posts/875598795915926Twitter: https://twitter.com/dvmstweets/status/852548806713511938YouTube: https://youtu.be/xI1ShY-zKus
Happy Long Weekend
DVMS is closed on Friday, April 14, and on Monday, April 17, for the Easter long weekend. Have some fabulous family time and we'll see you all on Tuesday.(And for your calendars, there is another 4-day long weekend in May: Friday, May 19, is a PD day, and Monday, May 22, is the Victoria Day statutory holiday).
- Lower Elementary Zumba: Starting this week, Lower Elementary students will be participating in Zumba, at DVMS, with Maria Isabel Garcia Castro of Maisa Fitness, who has been leading these high-energy classes at DVMS for a number of years. They will have Zumba at DVMS on the afternoons of Friday, April 21, 28, and May 12. Please ensure children wear or bring clothing they can move and groove in on Zumba days.
- Upper Elementary: Upper Elementary students will begin Ultimate frisbee, at DVMS, on Friday, April 21. Please help them remember to bring or wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing and footwear (lightning is the only thing that stops Ultimate!) and their water bottle.
But wait, there's more
- Casa Field Trip Friday May 5: At Beamer Memorial Conservation Area, on Quarry Rd., in Grimsby, from 10:00 - 12:00. All DVMS Casa students will spend the morning at Beamer, with their parents and their Montessori guides. This will be a spring hike to enjoy nature. This will not be a guided tour, just a hike of this world-renowned official Important Bird Area, including the hawk watch tower (bring binoculars if you wish). Beamer is "Renowned as the best vantage point in the Niagara Peninsula to observe the annual spring hawk migration."What to bring: Hiking shoes, water bottles, and a packed lunch to eat at the picnic area as a group after the hike (not mandatory but there is nothing available on site).Notes:*Parking available. *Wheelchair and stroller accessible. *Washrooms available.*No rain date. If it is raining on the day of the field trip, we will make a call the morning of and let you know; if it is cancelled, it will be a regular school day at DVMS.*Map to Beamer.*There is no school in the afternoon following the field trip.
- DVMS Yearbook and Cover Contest: This year, the DVMS Yearbook will be created by the new Yearbook Club. It will be an 8.5"x11" hardcover with up to 80 pages -- a premium keepsake that you'll be proud to keep on your bookshelf. As part of the yearbook program, the club is hosting a Yearbook Cover Competition. Lower and Upper Elementary students are encouraged to submit their best design for the 2016-2017 DVMS Yearbook, in colour, by April 21, to the Yearbook Club. A winner will be selected and will be available for everyone to preview when the yearbook goes on sale for pre-orders on April 24.
- Upper/Lower Hockey Tournament: Our Lower Elementary students are holding another charity floor hockey tourney in the gym, during recess, on Thursday, April 20. It is for both Lower and Upper students and participants will need a helmet with facemask and hockey gloves. Kids will sign up at school and there is a $0.50 entry fee with proceeds going to the Lower Elementary Community Fund to be distributed at the end of the year.
- Bake Sale!: The Lower Elementary philanthropy via cookies project continues next week. Friday, April 21, during their lunchtime, the Lower Elementary children will be holding a bake sale for their classmates to raise money for McMaster Children's Hospital. All items will be $1.00-$2.00.
- Fast and Female Champ Chat: There is an event coming up at DVMS on Saturday, April 22, for girls. Click here for details and tickets:
Fast and Female Champ Chat presented by Fuelling Women Champions in Dundas, ONJoin us for an afternoon of empowerment through sports! This Champ Chat includes a physical activity curcuit, yoga, autographs, and an inspirational chat with our Fast and Female Ambassadors.Fast and Female Ambassadors:
- Caitlin Genovy – McMaster University Varsity Volleyball Player
- Erin Ambrose – Toronto Furies Hockey Player #13
- Soren Meeuwisse – NextGen MTB Team & Trek Canada Mountain Bike Team
WHEN: Saturday, April 22, 2017 from 1:00pm – 4:00pm ESTWHERE: Dundas Valley Montessori School, 14 Kemp Drive, Dundas, ON L9H 2M9WHO: Girls ages 8-18 years oldCOST: $30
Fun Family Events:
- Something about eggs and chocolate...: I dunno, the kids been talkin' about something to do with this, and bunnies too.
- Good Friday at Westfield Heritage Village: Friday, April 14. Click here for info.
Children and their families will find lots to do together on this day. Enjoy traditional spring-themed games, crafts, activities and demonstrations.
- Waterdown Easter Egg Hunt: Friday, April 14.
Memorial Park Waterdown at 10am starting time. Egg Hunt groups 0-3 years, 4-7 years and 8-12 years. Free event for all children! Donations for McMaster Children’s Hospital are gratefully appreciated.
- Downtown Dundas Eggstravaganza and Dundas Legion Egg Hunt: Saturday, April 15. Click here for Eggstravaganza info.
Egg hunt info:
The hunts will start approximately at the listed times – Don’t be late. Newborns to 3 years: 8:30am, Children aged 4-7 years 9:00am and the Hunt for everyone else: 9:30. Food donations will be accepted for the Food Bank. Entry is at the Legion’s front door.
- There are a number of other egg hunts going on around town this weekend. Hopefully the weather plays nice and you can get outside for some much-needed family fun in the sun, whether egg-hunting or other great adventures. Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
A short week and some sickness means not quite as many photos this week, but there's the Toddler video!