Events and Info: March Break Edition
Have a great March Break DVMS Community! We'll see you all back here on Monday, March 27.March Break Campers, please remember to make sure forms are signed and payment is made by the end of the day today (Friday, March 10).Also, things to know for March Break and when we return:
- Parent-Teacher Interviews (sign-up available)
- Toddler Parent Education event
- Talent Show Videos! (you know those photos and videos you save for their wedding day, here ya go).
- What's with all these bakes sales?
- Interview Friday closure + Good Friday and Easter Monday
- World Down Syndrome Day
- March Break Activities
Parent-Teacher Interview Sign-up
Term 3 Parent-Teacher Interviews will take place on the evening of Thursday, April 6, and the morning of Friday, April 7. Friday, April 7, is a PA Day due to the interviews and DVMS is closed.Notes:
- Both Lower environments will also have interviews the following week.
- The Toddler Community will be holding a specific set of interviews on the Friday only; they are hosting a Toddler Parent Education evening on Thursday, April 7. (Toddler families, you will have received an email with an RSVP request from the Toddler guides earlier this week).
- Please remember, for the interviews, babes-in-arms are fine, but we ask that toddlers and other children take advantage of the childcare in the gym.
Talent Show Video #1:https://youtu.be/pLQeUTw_vOA
Toddler Parent Education Evening
Toddler families, you will have received the following from the Toddler guides earlier this week:
On Thursday, April 6th from 5:30 - 7:00 the DVMS Toddler Community would like to invite their Toddler Community families to attend a Parent Evening on Freedom and Limits -- otherwise known as: The Montessori Approach to Discipline.(If you are not a parent of a Toddler student, but would like to attend, please contact the Toddler guides at email@example.com; space is limited in the Toddler Community room).During the evening, we will discuss Licence vs. Liberty, the Development of the Will, the Three levels of Obedience, and how to help our children as they develop self-discipline and learn to control their emotions. There will also be opportunities for you to give examples of your struggles at home and develop strategies on how to best cope.In preparation for our discussion please read Chapter 4, "Keeping the Peace" in How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way - by Tim Seldin.We highly suggest that one or both parents attend this event -- Grandparents, nannies, and other caregivers are also welcome.We are hosting our Parent Evening in lieu of having parent/teacher interviews. We will be offering P-T interviews only to those families that joined us in January or to those who feel that they need a conference. If you fall into the latter category and would like an interview please email us and we will schedule a time.Because we are holding our Parent Evening on P-T interview night, child care is available to the toddlers in the gym along with the rest of the school community. We suggest, if possible, to arrange for alternative care, but the gym and our DVMS staff are available should you require them.Please RSVP to this email as to whether you are able to attend, how many adults will be attending from your family, and whether you will require care for your toddler, by no later than Friday, March 31.
Talent Show Video #2: (inspired by Strata Montessori's production of Romeo and Juliet).https://youtu.be/e35KbIbteCc
Details about the Upper and Lower Elementary Friday activities for the spring term will be announced after the March Break. There are two Friday closures right after March Break -- Parent-Teacher Interviews followed by Good Friday on April 14 (and Easter Monday on April 17).
Talent Show Video #3:https://youtu.be/jeHqwmQ1vwc
But Wait, There's More
- What's With all These Bake Sales?: Montessori children are encouraged to follow their interests and by nature children are charitable and seek fairness and justice, especially during the elementary years. Over the course of the year, there will be many student-organized and run bake sales, in-school sports tournaments, and other ventures. We ask for your patience and cooperation as they learn how to organize, communicate, and run these events.
- Looking Ahead -- PA Day and Easter Holidays: There are a few closures we want to make sure you're aware of shortly after March Break. As you read above, Friday, April 7, is a PA Day due to the interviews and DVMS is closed. Also, the following Friday, April 14, is Good Friday and Easter Monday is on April 17. DVMS is closed on those days and there is no school.
Talent Show Video #4:https://youtu.be/byDWHEKVhLs
Fun Family Events
- McMaster Makes Magic: The McMaster Alumni Association is partnering with the MSU Magician’s Club to bring a magic show to downtown Hamilton. The magic show will run one hour and then the magicians will break the audience into small groups and teach each group a few card tricks. This show is happening on Tuesday, March 28th at 6pm. The cost is $5 per person and includes a light dinner (pizza and wraps). For more details and to register, click here.
World Down Syndrome Day 2017 Open House: Support the hard work of a DVMS family! Click here for more | click on image for larger
DSAH is hosting an OPEN HOUSE to celebrate World Down Syndrome Day and the FIRST Ontario Down Syndrome Day. We invite our membership, families, friends, educators, professionals, service providers and the Hamilton Community at large to come and CELEBRATE with us the abilities and possibilities for people with Down syndrome.
- March Break in Hamilton: There are a number of special March Break activities planned at many Hamilton sites: Dundurn Castle, Whitehern, Fieldcote, Children's Museum, Art Gallery, and more. Click here for details.
- March Break!: Have lots of fun together over the next couple of weeks DVMS families. See you all back at school on Monday, March 27.
Once again, have a restful and fun March Break everyone. Here's what we got up to during the last week before the break: