Events and Info: March 6 - 10, 2017, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
Strata Montessori's production of "Romeo and Juliet" continues until Saturday evening:
- March 3rd: Reg $15 | VIP $30 | show @2:00 (arrive @1:45) and
show @7:00 (arrive @6:45)(sold out!)
- March 4th: Reg $15 | VIP $30 | show@2:00 (arrive @1:45) and show @7:00 (arrive @6:45)
Coming up below:March Break and CampsLower Field Trip MondayLower Karate Friday (Skating is finished)Upper ClimbingBasketball Pics and VidSignatures and ChequesPolice Dog at DVMS!Serena is BackA Volunteer in Lower NorthA Bake Sale!Kid's CafeSix String NationMagicMaple SyrupHip HopMontessori WeekMarch BreakPhotos
March Break Camps
It's coming up fast! March Break runs March 13 - March 24. We'll see you back to school on Monday, March 27.
- DVMS is hosting March Break Camps for DVMS Casa and Elementary students. Both camps will take place during the second week of March Break: Monday, March 20, to Friday, March 24.
Programming will run from 9:00 – 3:30 each day. Doors open at 8:30 and children must be picked up by 4:00.Remember, we require camp forms to be signed and payment made by Friday, March 10. If we have not received payment by the first day of camp, children will not be permitted to attend camp until payment is made. Thank you for understanding.Please click here for details and registration for the Casa Camp.Please click here for details and registration for the Elementary Camp.
- Lower Elementary Field Trip: On Monday, March 6, the Lower Elementary students will be venturing to the Royal Botanical Gardens to take part in the Big Freeze exhibit, as well as other educational programming. The programming runs from 9:30-2:00, and they are being bused there and back. Children on hot lunch will need to bring a bagged lunch that day as this is a full-day event. Thank you.
- Lower Elementary Karate: Friday, March 10, is the make-up day for the karate session that was cancelled on March 3 due to the instructor not being available.
- Skating finished on Friday, March 3. A few photos from the final skating day:
[gallery type="rectangular" size="large" ids="14967,14968,14969,14970,14971,14972,14973,14976"]
- Upper Elementary Rock Climbing: Upper Elementary students will be climbing at Gravity Climbing Gym on Friday, Feb. 24, and Friday, March 3 and 10. They will be at the gym from 1:00-2:30, and there is room for parents to watch. Children will be bused to and from Gravity. Each child will require a waiver to be submitted. Gravity now has an online waiver form you must fill out. Click here to go to the waiver. In addition to the waiver, the gym asks:
Outdoor shoes are not permitted. Climbers must bring a separate pair of clean, dry, snugly laced running shoes to change into. Alternately, climbing shoes will be available to rent for $2.65 + hst.Please have climbers wear comfortable athletic clothing.
- Upper Basketball at Northstar: Once again, our parent paparazzi/team drivers/booster club took some great photos and videos during the kids' games at Northstar Montessori in Mississauga on Wednesday:
[gallery type="rectangular" size="large" ids="14952,14954,14955,14956,14957,14958"]https://youtu.be/YoPXcII_nI8
But wait, there's more:
- Re-Enrolment Sign and Pay Reminder: Signatures and payment or post-dated cheques for the 2017-2018 school year were due on March 1. If you have yet to sign, pay, or drop off all post-dates for the school year, please come in to the office to finalize everything as soon as possible. Skye will be sending out invoices next week -- the last week before March Break -- for any outstanding amounts. Thank you.
- Casa Kids Get Police Dog Treatment: Just to make sure they're not smuggling any contraband in, Casa East guide Shalyn arranged a visit from a friend of hers -- a police officer with the K9 unit -- who brought Chase the police dog to DVMS for a visit this past week.
[gallery type="rectangular" size="large" ids="14947,14948,14949,14950"]
- Serena is Back: Serena officially returned to DVMS this week. We want to thank you all again for the tremendous support the DVMS community provided to help Serena and her family overcome her cancer treatment. Serena is very happy to be back amongst new and familiar faces. Check this week's photo gallery!
- Lower North Volunteer: Rebecca Last is volunteering 2-3 days per week in Lower North, helping children with organizational skills, performing reading assessments, helping structure projects, and is looking into completing her Montessori training. She comes from a public school background and has previously worked at Montessori Academy in London.
- Bake Sale on Tuesday, March 7: Raising money for the Hamilton Children's Choir, this is one of their regular lunchtime bake sales, for Lower kids only.
- Kids Cafe Every Thursday: Upper Elementary students have started running an after school “Kids’ Cafe” every Thursday from 3:30-4:00. The cafe is to raise money for the year six Upper Elementary students’ trip to the Montessori Model United Nations Midwest Regional Upper Elementary Conference at Indiana Purdue University in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Fun Family Events:
Our McMaster Alumni contact has let us know about two more interesting events coming up:
- Six String Nation: McMaster University is hosting an event with six string nation, a guitar built from over 60 pieces of bone, metal, wood, stone, and fabric. Nicknamed Voyageur, the guitar is coming to Hamilton/McMaster with its creator, Jowi Taylor, to spend an evening talking about why and how it was created. Local artists will be playing the guitar during a special performance. It’s a free event with a little bit of history and music mixed together and is taking place on Thursday, March 9, at 7:00 p.m. For more details and to register, click here.
- McMaster Makes Magic: The McMaster Alumni Association is partnering with the MSU Magician’s Club to bring a magic show to downtown Hamilton. The magic show will run one hour and then the magicians will break the audience into small groups and teach each group a few card tricks. This show is happening on Tuesday, March 28th at 6pm. The cost is $5 per person and includes a light dinner (pizza and wraps). For more details and to register, click here.
- Maple Syrup Festival at Westfield Heritage Village: Click here for more details
Sundays in March: 5, 12, 19, 26March Break days Wednesday March 15 and Thursday March 1610 a.m. to 4 p.m.Spring is in the air at Westfield as we host our annual Maple Syrup Festival!Come and see both traditional and modern methods for making maple syrup and then try some delicious, reasonably priced pancakes sold by the St. George Lion’s Club at the Ironwood Hall!The Maple Syrup Festival at Westfield is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and to learn about maple syrup and about Ontario’s history. Bring a friend or the whole family! Tours and demonstrations run throughout the day and there are free horse drawn wagon rides available.
- Hip Hop: If you're out and about this Saturday (March 4, from 10:00-1:00), stop by Democracy cafe on Locke St. to see a couple of DVMS students busking and showing off their moves to raise funds for their Competitive Hip Hop Crew. Be sure to buy some cookies.
- Montessori Week: Hope you all enjoyed the videos shared by DVMS and number of other CCMA accredited Montessori schools this past Montessori Week. If you'd like to catch up, and see Montessori in action at other Montessori schools around southern Ontario, visit our Facebook Page, and feel free to share!
- March Break!: Hope you all get up to some good, springy fun. March Break runs March 13 - March 24. We'll see you back to school on Monday, March 27.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Picture time! Lots of requests for full size images of your adorable children lately; don't hesitate if you would like one.[gallery type="slideshow" size="large" ids="14862,14863,14864,14865,14866,14867,14868,14869,14870,14871,14872,14873,14874,14875,14876,14877,14878,14879,14880,14881,14882,14883,14884,14885,14886,14887,14888,14889,14890,14891,14892,14893,14894,14895,14896,14897,14898,14899,14900,14901,14902,14903,14904,14905,14906,14907,14908,14909,14910,14911,14912,14913,14914,14915,14916,14917,14918,14919,14920,14921,14922,14923,14924,14925,14926,14927,14928,14929,14930,14931,14932,14933,14934,14935,14936,14937,14938,14939,14940,14941,14942,14943,14944,14945"]