Events and Info: Feb. 27 - March 3, 2017, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
See below for more Romeo and Juliet detailsPlus:March Break CampsLower Karate and Skating (A karate date has changed!)Upper ClimbingMore Basketball (we need some parent volunteer drivers again, please)Lower Elementary Field TripYear Six Upper Student Enrolment at StrataA European ManMS-Read-A-ThonHockey Helmets for RecessMontessori WeekTropical Greenhouse
Romeo and Juliet: A Strata Production
Since the beginning of January, we have been working very hard on our enchanted forest adaptation of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Everyone has put so much effort into it and we all hope you come to see the finished product of our work. We are putting on 6 shows over the course of 4 days, March 1st to 4th. We will have a 7 o'clock performance every day (March 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th), and a two o'clock show on the 3rd and 4th. Every performance will be at Strata Montessori, 575 Lions Club Road, Ancaster ON. There will be 54 regular seats every performance which will cost $10 each on the 1st and 2nd and $15 on the 3rd and 4th. Like last year there will also be VIP seats, 14 per performance, and they will cost $25 on the 1st and 2nd and $30 for the 3rd and 4th. The VIP seats will include snacks and drinks. Ticket are only available to be bought in person (no reservations), with cash. Tickets will be available at DVMS at the end of the day from 3:30 to 4:45 every day from the 22nd till the 28th. Tickets will also be available at Strata from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on the 22nd, 23rd, 27th and 28th. We will not be selling on Friday or the weekend. Tickets will also be available before the performances on the day of if there are any left. When you are coming to the performances, the earliest you can arrive is 45 minutes early. Please be sure to be here 15 minutes before the show starts, so everyone can be seated in good time.March 1st= Reg $10 VIP $25 @7:00 (arrive @6:45)March 2nd= Reg $10 VIP $25 @7:00 (arrive @6:45)March 3rd= Reg $15 VIP $30 @2:00 (arrive @1:45) @7:00 (arrive @6:45)March 4th= Reg $15 VIP $30 @2:00 (arrive @1:45) @7:00 (arrive @6:45)Thanks Everyone,Leif, Nolyn and the marketing team
March Break Camps
- DVMS is hosting March Break Camps for DVMS Casa and Elementary students. Both camps will take place during the second week of March Break: Monday, March 20, to Friday, March 24.
Programming will run from 9:00 – 3:30 each day. Doors open at 8:30 and children must be picked up by 4:00.Please click here for details and registration for the Casa Camp.Please click here for details and registration for the Elementary Camp.
- Lower Elementary: Lower Elementary students will be participating in figure skating skills or karate on Friday, Feb. 24, and Friday, March 3.
- Karate: There has been a change to karate: March 3 Karate has been rescheduled to Friday, March 10 (the instructor is not available). Children not participating in the skating activity will take part in karate, at DVMS, with Gord Waddell of United Family Martial Arts. Gord has been teaching karate at DVMS for a number of years. Children should wear or bring loose fitting/easy to move in clothing on karate days.
- Figure Skating Skills: will take place on Friday, Feb 24, and March 3; they are on the ice from 2:00-3:00. Figure skating participants will be learning from DVMS Montessori Mom Amanda Graydon — a former competitive figure skater and certified coach. Skaters will require a CSA certified helmet (no bike helmets please), as well as splash pants or joggers. From Amanda:
I find snow pants are hard to move in on the ice, but if they don’t have splash pants, snow pants for sure. Thin socks, nylons, or bare feet. Thick socks actually make their feet colder. I have a bin of small sized skates (both hockey & figure) I can lend. If buying skates, try to buy used if you can, saves any blisters for your little ones. Let someone else do the breaking in of the skates! Have the new-to-ice skaters practice walking on carpet at home in their skates to help them get used to the feeling of a thin blade (safely, of course). The younger/new-to-ice skaters (ages 2-4) can bring a favourite stuffy to skate with. Can’t have any ‘loose’ items that come off. If parents want to accompany, please wear skates.
We also recommend gloves be worn on the ice.
Outdoor shoes are not permitted. Climbers must bring a separate pair of clean, dry, snugly laced running shoes to change into. Alternately, climbing shoes will be available to rent for $2.65 + hst.Please have climbers wear comfortable athletic clothing.
- Upper Elementary Climbing: Upper Elementary students will be climbing at Gravity Climbing Gym on Friday, Feb. 24, and Friday, March 3 and 10. They will be at the gym from 1:00-2:30, and there is room for parents to watch. Children will be bussed to and from Gravity. Each child will require a waiver to be submitted. Gravity now has an online waiver form you must fill out. Click here to go to the waiver. In addition to the waiver, the gym asks:
[gallery type="rectangular" size="large" ids="14825,14826,14827,14828,14832,14833,14835"]
- More Upper Basketball, at Northstar Montessori: Our DVMS b-ballers are heading to Northstar Montessori in Mississauga on Wednesday, March 1. They had a great time at Fairview Glen this past week. We have basketball team shirts, but if your child has a DVMS shirt, please ask them to wear or bring it that day, or wear a blue t-shirt. Thank you. Once again, we are looking for some parent volunteers to drive there and back, and as it turns out to act as a fanbase and photo/videographers (thanks Heidi!). Northstar is at 4900 Tomken Road in Mississauga and is about a 45 minute drive; we will be looking to leave DVMS by 8:45 for a 10:00 a.m. game, and will be departing Northstar at about 2:30. Since they will be there for the full day, basketball players should also bring a packed lunch. Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can commit to volunteering. Thank you, in advance, and to all the parents who were able to help out this past week.
[gallery ids="14699,14701,14700,14702" type="rectangular"][wpvideo wkoKgtqo]
- Lower Elementary Field Trip to RBG: On Monday, March 6, the Lower Elementary students will be venturing to the Royal Botanical Gardens to take part in the Big Freeze exhibit, as well as other educational programming. The programming runs from 9:30-2:00, and they are being bused there and back. Children on hot lunch will need to bring a bagged lunch that day as this is a full-day event. Thank you.
But wait, there's more:
- Strata Enrolment for DVMS Year 6 Upper Elementary Students: A reminder for parents of year 6 Upper Elementary students, and a sneak peek at what's to come for younger students: Please visit Strata's NEW! website and navigate to "Admissions" --> "Internal Applicants" (as families of DVMS, you are Internal to our little school system and we do not require as much information as a family applying from a different school).
There, you will find information about the transition to Strata process and links to two forms:
- Student Response Form to be completed and submitted online by the student attending Strata.
- Parent Response Form to be completed and submitted online by the students' parents.
Also on the "Internal Applicants" page are instructions for a Student Portfolio that must be submitted:
STUDENT PORTFOLIO REQUIREMENTSThough this is in part for assessment, it is, more importantly, an opportunity for you to examine the quality and character of your work and to reflect on your abilities as you embrace the sense of community offered in the Strata Montessori Adolescent Program. Please prepare a folio of 5 pieces of work. This folio should include school work, but may also include work done at home or in other activities. The pieces can be written, they can be digital, they can be 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional art or construction, they can be oral, they can be performance, or they can be of any other demonstrable worth. Select pieces of work of which you are proud and you feel give a good idea o f your strengths and interests.Please submit all forms by March 1 and the portfolio by March 10. Please come in to the DVMS office to sign the hard copies of your forms and drop off cheques (the Strata Fee Schedule for 2017.2018 is here; full and quarterly payment options are available).Thank you, so much, for continuing to choose authentic Montessori education for your children.
- Montessori Guide-in-Training from Europe: Starting Monday, Feb. 27, Upper Elementary East will be hosting a Montessori Guide-in-Training for two weeks. Pavlos Gurutidis, originally from the Czech Republic, will be joining us from the Fondazione Centro Internazionale Studi Montessoriani (CISM | International Centre for Montessori Studies Foundation), in Bergamo, Italy. Part of Montessori training involves performing a certain number of observation hours in Montessori environments. You may remember we were joined by two CISM students last year (Frans and Ida). Pavlos will be observing and learning from your Upper Elementary students.
An enormous thank you goes out to all the DVMS students who contributed to the MS Read-A-Thon!!! Pledges were due February 21st -- but we can still accept any forgotten pledges on Monday, February 27th. Please complete your online donations at msreadathon.ca and bring in your cash/cheque pledges for Monday to help DVMS reach its fundraising goal.Kind regards,Mairi AchongLearning Resource TeacherDundas Valley Montessori School
- Hockey Helmets for Recess: The Elementary staff have requested that children bring hockey helmets with facemasks if they intend to play hockey at recess. We do have a few helmets at the school that are lenders for things like hockey and skating, but please do not rely on them being available, or if you are concerned about shared headgear. Thank you.
- Montessori Week: Next week is Montessori Week! DVMS and a number of other schools will be sharing a number of video posts over the course of the week focusing on the various levels of Montessori. Look for posts from us, as well as posts shared from other schools, and please help spread the Montessori word by sharing them on your own social media thingys.
Fun Family Events:
Tropical Greenhouse: See below for details:
Gage Park Tropical Greenhouse1000 Main Street East - parking off Lawrence RoadA walk through the Tropical Greenhouse takes the visitor through a diverse world of verdant plants, trailing vines and colourful bulbs. The greenhouse is part of the Horticultural facility in beautiful Gage Park off Gage Avenue and Lawrence Road.Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.Saturday – Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.Tropical House will be closed between Christmas and New Years Day, and on statutory holidays.Location: Enter the Gage Park parking lot off Lawrence Road, just east of Gage Avenue South. Take the pathway at the north side of the parking lot to the Horticulture Depot.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Lots of adorable photos this week. Remember, let us know if you would like the full size version of any photos of your children.[gallery type="slideshow" size="large" ids="14741,14742,14743,14744,14745,14746,14747,14748,14749,14750,14751,14752,14753,14754,14755,14756,14757,14758,14759,14760,14761,14762,14763,14764,14765,14766,14767,14768,14769,14770,14771,14772,14773,14774,14775,14776,14777,14778,14779,14780,14781,14782,14783,14784,14785,14786,14787,14788,14789,14790,14791,14792,14793,14794,14795,14796,14797,14798,14799,14800,14801,14802,14803,14804,14805,14806,14807,14808,14809,14810,14811,14812,14813,14814,14815,14816,14817,14818,14819,14820,14821,14822,14823"]