Events and Info: Feb. 20 - 24, 2017, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
Remember, PD Day tomorrow (Friday, Feb. 17) and holiday Monday, Feb. 20.Also:March Break CampsCasa Workshop on Thursday, Feb. 23No Elementary activities this Friday (Feb. 17), but Lower skating and karate, and Upper rock climbing continue/start next week.DVMS basketball at Fairview Glen. Parent volunteers?Bienvenue à Lucie LaplanteMS Read-A-ThonKids CaféAnd lots and lots of Fun Family Events for the Family Day long weekend
PD Day on Friday/Holiday on Monday
- Friday, February 17, is a PD day and Monday, February 20, is the Family Day statutory holiday. On the PD day, DVMS staff will be participating in a workshop focused on curriculum continuity throughout the different levels of Montessori at DVMS. This is a large project undertaken by DVMS staff this year that will allow us to continue to provide your children with the best Montessori education possible. We’re always working to be better.
March Break Camps
- DVMS is hosting March Break Camps for DVMS Casa and Elementary students. Both camps will take place during the second week of March Break: Monday, March 20, to Friday, March 24.
Programming will run from 9:00 – 3:30 each day. Doors open at 8:30 and children must be picked up by 4:00.Please click here for details and registration for the Casa Camp.Please click here for details and registration for the Elementary Camp.
- Behaviour Management at Home and at School: The next in our series of Casa Workshops will take place on Thursday, Feb. 23. This workshop will be a group session; instead of going to your child's Montessori environment, please go directly to Casa East (the first room as soon as you turn the corner). As always, the workshop will run from 3:30-4:00 and children are welcome to stay on the playground until the workshop is over. Add this important date to your calendars.
Lower Elementary: Lower Elementary students will be participating in figure skating skills or karate on Friday, Feb. 24, and Friday, March 3 (remember, Friday, Feb. 17, is a PD Day).
- Karate: Children not participating in the skating activity will take part in karate, at DVMS, with Gord Waddell of United Family Martial Arts. Gord has been teaching karate at DVMS for a number of years. Children should wear or bring loose fitting/easy to move in clothing on karate days.
- Figure Skating Skills: will take place on Friday, Feb 10, 24, and March 3 (February 17 is a PD Day). Figure skating participants will be learning from DVMS Montessori Mom Amanda Graydon — a former competitive figure skater and certified coach. Skaters will require a CSA certified helmet (no bike helmets please), as well as splash pants or joggers. From Amanda:
I find snow pants are hard to move in on the ice, but if they don’t have splash pants, snow pants for sure. Thin socks, nylons, or bare feet. Thick socks actually make their feet colder. I have a bin of small sized skates (both hockey & figure) I can lend. If buying skates, try to buy used if you can, saves any blisters for your little ones. Let someone else do the breaking in of the skates! Have the new-to-ice skaters practice walking on carpet at home in their skates to help them get used to the feeling of a thin blade (safely, of course). The younger/new-to-ice skaters (ages 2-4) can bring a favourite stuffy to skate with. Can’t have any ‘loose’ items that come off. If parents want to accompany, please wear skates.
We also recommend gloves be worn on the ice.
- Upper Elementary Climbing: Upper Elementary students will be climbing at Gravity Climbing Gym on Friday, Feb. 24 (Feb. 17 is a PD Day), and Friday, March 3 and 10. They will be at the gym from 1:00-2:30, and there is room for parents to watch. Children will be bussed to and from Gravity. Each child will require a waiver to be submitted. Gravity now has an online waiver form you must fill out. Click here to go to the waiver. In addition to the waiver, the gym asks:
Outdoor shoes are not permitted. Climbers must bring a separate pair of clean, dry, snugly laced running shoes to change into. Alternately, climbing shoes will be available to rent for $2.65 + hst.Please have climbers wear comfortable athletic clothing.
- DVMS Basketball at Fairview Glen Montessori: DVMS Upper Elementary basketball players will be travelling to Fairview Glen Montessori School in Burlington on Wednesday, February 22, for a 9:30 game. There are 19 players, so we are asking for parent volunteers who can help to shuttle the kids there and back (that is too few for a school bus). If you are able to commit to being a volunteer driver, please let us know at email@example.com. We have basketball team shirts, but if your child has a DVMS shirt, please ask them to wear or bring it that day, or wear a blue t-shirt. Thank you. (They will also be travelling to Northstar Montessori on Wednesday, March 1, if anyone can volunteer to drive for that too ).
But wait, there's more:
- Welcome Lucie: Please give a hearty Bonjour to DVMS’s newest staff member, Lucie Laplante. Lucie started this week as the new French specialist for our Casa environments. Lucie is an AMI trained Montessori guide with over 20 years of experience. Lucie and her husband recently re-located to the Hamilton area from Quebec; her first language is French and your children will be helping her to develop her English.
You will see Lucie on the playground each day between 3:30-4:00.
[gallery ids="14452,14456,14455,14454,14453" type="rectangular"]
- MS Read-A-Thon:
The MS Read-A-Thon is drawing to a close! We have a few more days to read and raise money to help people with MS. This is our chance to make a difference in the lives of people in our community. Please encourage your friends and family to sponsor you, if you haven't already done so. The more sponsors you have, the more money you can raise to help people with MS. Every donation, no matter how small, makes a difference! Half of the money raised goes to research, and the other half goes to supporting people in our community with MS.Please finish collecting cash and cheque donations from your sponsors this weekend and bring everything back to school on Tuesday, February 21st. The website is a convenient way for your sponsors to make credit card or Paypal donations. Visit msreadathon.ca to set up your personal page; instructions are available if you need help to do so from firstname.lastname@example.org.Thank you to all the DVMS readers and their families for giving hope to Canadians who live with MS by joining the fight to close the book on Multiple Sclerosis!Kind regards,Mairi AchongLearning Resource Teacher
- Kids Café for MMUN: Upper Elementary students are continuing their after school “Kids’ Cafe” every Thursday from 3:30-4:00. The cafe is to raise money for the year six Upper Elementary students’ trip to the Montessori Model United Nations Midwest Regional Upper Elementary Conference at Indiana Purdue University in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Fun Family Events:
There are a number of family events taking place for the Monday Family Day holiday.
- Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra Family Concert: Saturday, Feb. 18. Click here for details and tickets.
Songs and Stories of CanadaThe young and young-at-heart will enjoy this full-day of symphony-themed fun! Learn about Canada’s past and present through orchestral music that highlights the Anglo, Franco and First Nations elements of our history. Listen to exciting and familiar orchestral music in this one-hour concert designed with families in mind. Concert and activities are designed for children ages four and up.Purchase a family day-pass (two adults/seniors and two children) or single person day pass and take part in pre-concert musical activities, including the create-your-own-instrument station and instrument petting zoo, to name a few. All day-passes include pre-concert musical activities, the one-hour concert and a $5 lunch voucher at Mohawk College.
- 1,000 Bottles Waterfall: Feb. 18-20. Click here for details.
Imagine winter being lit up by hundreds of used plastic water bottles with LED battery lamps inside each one of them! The more than 1,000 bottles will be forming a magical blue waterfall, all built and installed by volunteers.
- Family Jam: Monday, Feb. 20, at 3:30, at Church of St. John the Evangelist, 320 Charlton Ave. W.
All ages are welcome to join us for our second annual FAMILY JAM concert! We will be singing a variety of music styles featuring beautiful harmonies and lots of opportunity to sing along. Special guest Paul Fralick of TURKEY Rhubarb fame will be on hand to deliver some family favourites and get everyone dancing in the aisles. All admission is by CASH ONLY donation at the door.
- Family Day at Dundurn: Monday, Feb. 20, 12:00-4:00. Click here for Dundurn National Historic Site website.
Explore a fascinating piece of Hamilton history at Dundurn National Historic Site. On a guided tour of over 40 rooms in Dundurn Castle, discover what it was like to live and play above stairs and work and live below stairs. Visitors will enjoy hands-on activities throughout their tour and sample a variety of historic goodies made in the kitchen. Visit the neighbouring Hamilton Military Museum for a self-guided experience with dress-up and hands-on activities while exploring the historical figures whom lived around Burlington Heights during the War of 1812. Remember to stop in at The Coach House Gallery for an exhibit featuring stories about the First World War and paint a poppy for our Remembrance “garden”.Cost: Adults: $11.50, Seniors/Youth: $9.50, Children: $6, Infants: Free, Family: $30
- Trains, Trains and more Trains: At Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology, Monday, Feb. 20, 12:00-4:00.
Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology would like to invite you to join us on Family Day for train themed fun. Visit our craft station and build and decorate your own building. Take your building home or visit the model railroad and place it alongside the train track where the steam trains will be running. Non-stop fun awaits all who come.Adult supervision is required.12 – 4 pmAges: 5 years and upFREE event. Regular admission rates apply to the museum.Location: 900 Woodward Ave., Hamilton, ON , CA, L8H 7N2
- Family Day Comedy Classics: At Whitehern Historic House & Garden National Historic Site, Monday, Feb. 20, 12:00-4:00.
Tour the McQuesten home as it was in 1939 and then head to the renovated Stable to enjoy short comedy classic films such as The Little Rascals and Popeye. Share the fun of classic family entertainment of the 1930s. Refreshments available for purchase12 – 4 pmRegular admission rates applyLocation: 41 Jackson St. W., Hamilton, ON , CA, L8P 1L3
- HCA Family Day: At Hamiton Conservatory for the Arts, Monday, Feb. 20, 10:00-4:00.
Curious about the world of dance? Itching to try a musical instrument? Interested in painting or making patterns in clay? You’re invited to our all-ages Family Day fun at the Hamilton Conservatory for the Arts on February 20 from 10am to 4pm. Join us for a full day of workshops led by our talented artist-instructors. Parents, grandparents, children, and friends can choose from a variety of unique classes in visual arts, dance, music, and more! Check out our full schedule and course descriptions below. Please note that all children under 16 years must be accompanied by an adult at all times.All activities are FREE!
- Free Family Day Skating: Monday, Feb. 20, 11:00-2:00. Click here for details.
Hosted by World Vision, enjoy complementary skate rentals and refreshments as we thank the Hamilton community this Family Day. Whether you’ve sponsored a child in need, supported emergency relief efforts or taken a stand for children’s rights, we are so grateful for the ways you’ve shown LOVE to kids around the world.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Ok, here's a whole bunch of pictures to get you through the long weekend:[gallery ids="14658,14657,14656,14655,14654,14653,14652,14651,14650,14649,14648,14647,14646,14645,14644,14643,14642,14641,14640,14639,14638,14637,14636,14635,14634,14633,14632,14631,14630,14629,14628,14627,14626,14625,14624,14623,14622,14621,14620,14619,14618,14617,14616,14615,14614,14613,14612,14611,14610,14609,14608,14607,14606,14605,14604,14603,14602,14601,14600,14599,14598,14597,14596,14595,14594,14593,14660,14661" type="slideshow"]