Events and Info: Nov. 21 - 25, 2016, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
Hope everyone had a great time at Show Me Day this morning. The children were very excited and there were lots of smiles and laughter (and a few tears when mom and dad left, but they didn't last long). It looked like a few parents learned a few things too. Congratulations!Got the itch for more Montessori knowledge? Don't forget to attend the next Casa Workshop on Thursday, November 24, from 3:30-4:00. Casa East guide Elizabeth teases:
This month's 30-minute Casa Workshop will discuss the most important curriculum in a Casa environment.We hope this tickles your curiosity. We would love you to attend and discover what material this could possibly be!
As always, please go directly to your child's Casa room, and childcare will be available on the playground.
Show Me Day Pictures:
[gallery type="slideshow" size="large" ids="11978,11979,11980,11981,11982,11983,11984,11985,11986,11987,11988,11989,11990,11991,11992,11993,11994,11995,11996,11997,11998,11999,12000,12001,12002,12003,12004,12005,12006,12007,12008,12009,12010,12011,12012,12013,12014,12015,12016,12017,12018,12019,12020,12021,12022,12023,12024,12025,12026,12027,12028,12029,12030,12031,12032,12033,12034,12035,12036,12037"]
- Shrek: The Musical: Our Upper and Lower Elementary students will be venturing to see "Shrek: The Musical" on Thursday, November 24, at the Theatre Auditorium at Ancaster High School. They will depart DVMS by school bus at 10:00 and return to DVMS shortly after 2:00. Since this school matinee will run through the regular lunch hour, please send along a substantial nut free snack (ie. sandwich) and water bottle for intermission (something they can easily carry in a coat pocket). They will have a late lunch when they return to school (hot lunch children will have lunch provided when they return). Children do not need to wear dress clothes, but should dress comfortably to sit through the performance. Oh, and they will get to see Upper Elementary East Montessori guide Terrence Millie perform! Throughout the show's run, Terrence will be playing, "a clever pig after he builds his house out of bricks and outsmarts the big bad wolf with his fellow pigs. They all become friends and together they start a revolution to reclaim their homes and unite all of the fairytale creatures."
[vimeo 191817418 w=640 h=360]
- Lower Elementary Swimming and Gymnastics:
- Swimming: students will be walking to and from the Dundas pool where they will participate in swimming lessons. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they are able to easily and securely carry themselves.
- Gymnastics: students will be bussed to and from the Hamilton Gymnastics Academy in Ancaster. From the gym:
The kids will have the opportunity to learn gymnastics at a fully equipped gym with certified gymnastic instructors. Kids will be on Floor, Trampoline, Tumble Trak (50ft long trampoline) as well as mini trampoline and beam. They will learn safe landing positions, as well as basic gymnastics. Kids should wear shorts and t-shirt to the gym, have hair tied back and no jewellery (stud earrings are fine, no hoops or dangly earrings); no bare feet in the gym.
- The children will swim on either Monday or Friday, and gymnastics will also be on Fridays. We have made up a handy schedule you can print out and stick on the fridge (click on the “Open in new tab” arrow at the bottom right corner to expand and download):
- Upper Elementary Dance: Upper Elementary students will begin a dance program, at DVMS, on Friday, November 18, and continuing on Fri., Nov. 25, and Fri., Dec. 2. They will be led in dance by Chimira Andres, a 3rd-year Integrated Science student at McMaster who is also a captain on the Mac dance team, has been the senior dance instructor for a 4-16-year-old City of Mississauga dance program, and is a Contemporary Dance Artist with the Parahumans Dance Company. Upper students will dance with their class on Friday afternoons and should wear or bring appropriate, loose clothing. They will need indoor gym shoes for this activity.
But wait, there's more:
- Hot Lunch Menu Change: For those families with children on Hot Lunch, we have changed a couple of items on the Fall/Winter menu that didn't receive the greatest responses on this first run through the new menu cycle. Both changes are in week 2. Remember, you can keep track of what week of the cycle we are on with the DVMS calendar, and the menu is posted here and on the foyer bulletin board (so you can avoid doubling up lunch and supper, or maybe get some meal ideas).
- School Photos: As most of you know, school photos came in this week. If you haven't had a chance yet, stop in and pick them up. Re-take photo prints will be in at a later date. If you ordered holiday cards, Lindsay wants you to know that they are on the way, but she didn't want to delay the rest of the orders waiting for them.
- Watch your Parent Peers Sing: Join Lower Elementary French specialist, Michael Rode, as he conducts his choir, The Hamilton Choir Project, in a cozy fireside concert at Strata Montessori School on November 23 at 8:00 p.m.! Hamilton Choir Project is a group of 14 experienced singers and includes several DVMS parents. They will be singing a variety of songs including pop, contemporary choral, folk, and more. Although older children are welcome to attend, the event is designed with adults in mind. Strata students will be selling delicious baked goods, and tea. All admission is by donation, and part of the proceeds will be donated to Strata!
Fun Family Events:
- Shrek: The Musical: You read that our elementary students are going to see this production on Thursday; public performances for the family also run into early December. And Terrence will be pigging out in all of them. Click here for details and tickets.
- Dundas Tree Lighting Ceremony: Takes place tonight -- Friday, November 18, at Memorial Square, (King & Sydenham) in Downtown Dundas, at 7:00 p.m. Details:
A medley of holiday music will be performed by the Dundas Concert Band, Joan Ballantyne will once again perform and lead the carol sing a long.Father Christmas will arrive to welcome you and have a visit with the children.Complementary cider, hot chocolate and sweet treats will be served by the Downtown Dundas Businesses!
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Lots and lots of photos this week. You had a chance to visit, but here's what else they got up to this past week:[gallery type="slideshow" size="large" ids="11892,11893,11894,11895,11896,11897,11898,11899,11900,11901,11902,11903,11904,11905,11906,11907,11908,11909,11910,11911,11912,11913,11914,11915,11916,11917,11918,11919,11920,11921,11922,11923,11924,11925,11926,11927,11928,11929,11930,11931,11932,11933,11934,11935,11936,11937,11938,11939,11940,11941,11942,11943,11944,11945,11946,11947,11948,11949,11950,11951,11952,11953,11954,11955,11956,11957,11958,11959,11960,11961,11962,11963,11964,11965,11966,11967,11968,11969,11970,11971,11972,11973,11974,11975"]