Events and Info: Oct. 17 - 21, 2016, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
We're getting excited for this year's DVMS/Strata Parent Dinner. You can purchase tickets right here. You can also purchase tickets via the invite email we sent out this past week, or by using the link on the home page at dvms.ca.We also have an update for you to start tantalizing your taste buds. Read on to find out who's going to be cooking for you.
DVMS/Strata 2016 Parent Dinner
From Strata Montessori's Bianca Metz:
Dundas Valley Montessori and Strata Montessori Adolescent Schools are proud to introduce renowned international chef Amnon Adri Greenspan, known affectionately as "Adri."Adri is the feature chef for your DVMS/Strata 2016 Parent Dinner next Friday, October 21st. Adri graduated from Cornell University and his passion for cooking has taken him all across the globe, from Europe to Asia to the Middle East, as well as our own backyard where he now works as a private chef.Adri's passion has brought him towards vegetarian cuisine and work in Holistic Retreat Centers around the world. Adri finds his deepest motivation for cooking from his "nourish and fulfill" philosophy -- not the type of food he creates but the feeling one gets from creating and enjoying. We are so honoured and excited to introduce Adri's creations to you next Friday, along with a few of our Strata students who will be shadowing Adri in meal prep.
Purchase your dinner tickets here. Limited seating and tickets are available.
- Lower Elementary Swimming and Gymnastics: Lower Elementary students will be participating in swimming and gymnastics throughout October and November, starting on Friday, October 14.
- Swimming: students will be walking to and from the Dundas pool where they will participate in swimming lessons. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they able to easily and securely carry themselves.
- Gymnastics: students will be bussed to and from the Hamilton Gymnastics Academy in Ancaster. From the gym:
The kids will have the opportunity to learn gymnastics at a fully equipped gym with certified gymnastic instructors. Kids will be on Floor, Trampoline, Tumble Trak (50ft long trampoline) as well as mini trampoline and beam. They will learn safe landing positions, as well as basic gymnastics. Kids should wear shorts and t-shirt to the gym, have hair tied back and no jewellery (stud earrings are fine, no hoops or dangly earrings); no bare feet in the gym.
- The children will swim on either Monday or Friday, and gymnastics will also be on Fridays. We have made up a handy schedule you can print out and stick on the fridge (click on the “Open in new tab” arrow at the bottom right corner to expand and download):
- Upper Elementary Parkour: Upper Elementary students will be learning parkour on Friday, Oct. 14, 21, 28, and Nov. 11, with the fine folks from Play Project. Parkour will take place out of DVMS (no drop-offs, pick-ups, or bus times to keep track of). Students will be split into groups of 12 and will participate in turn throughout the day. (Nov. 11 will be a half-day parkour day as the kids will be at the Dundas Remembrance Day ceremony in the morning). Please make sure they wear or bring appropriate outdoor physical activity attire on parkour days. If it’s raining, they will be in the gym.
[gallery ids="10981,10982,10983,10984,10985,10986,10987" type="slideshow"]
- Cross-Country at Lee Academy: A number of both Lower and Upper Elementary (and Strata) students have chosen to take part in another cross-country event, this time at Lee Academy on Friday, Oct. 21. This is an optional event and students have let us know if they would like to run or if they would like to participate in their regularly scheduled Friday activities. They will be bussed to and from Lee Academy. Parents are welcome to attend to spectate. Students will arrive at Lee Academy at approximately 12:30. The schedule for the races is as follows (note: our first year Lower students are being categorized as "grade 2" students. Sssssshhhhhh):
Students in Grades 2, 3 and 4 (Midget) will run at 1:05 p.m. 1.5 kmStudents in Grades 5 and 6 (Junior) will run at 1:30 p.m. 1.5 kmStudents in Grades 7 and 8 (Senior) will run at 1:55 p.m. 2.5 kmIn each category, girls will race before boys.
Lee Academy also asks the following: "Lee Academy and the Merry family who own our surrounding farm ask that you and your team are respectful of their fields of trees and natural ponds. PLEASE inform students and visitors that they are to stay on or beside the course and not in the neighbouring fields or pet cemetery. We appreciate you not leaving litter on our grounds."
But wait, there's more:
- Strata Fall Sale and Café: The Strata Montessori Adolescent School Fall Sale is coming up on Saturday, October 29. This year, they have been working hard in their micro-economy sections, "planning products for our Autumn Market Sale. We have decided to make scarves, candles, soap, lip balm and so many other warm fall essentials." Don't forget, visit Strata every Friday morning for their weekly, wonderful café.
Fun Family Events:
Panorama Adventure Challenge Course: Saturday, Oct. 15. The PANORAMA @ RBG Adventure Challenge Course is a wild and fun obstacle course designed to engage the entire family in an exciting and active experience combining teamwork, family strength and participation. Rally your team and challenge your friends to this test of brain and brawn. Climb, leap, swing, crawl, think, create, and strategize your way through this multi-kilometre obstacle course. The course weaves its way through fields and forests, up and down hills and valleys, and over the terrain of RBG’s Arboretum.
- 2016 AGH BMO World Film Festival: Maybe not a family event, but if any of you well-deserving parents can manage to swing a date night, this might be just the ticket. Click here for info.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Check out these awesome kids:[gallery ids="10894,10895,10896,10897,10898,10900,10901,10902,10903,10904,10905,10906,10907,10908,10909,10910,10911,10913,10914,10915,10916,10917,10918,10919,10920,10921,10922,10923,10924,10925,10926,10927,10928,10929,10930,10931,10932,10933,10934,10935,10936,10937,10938,10939,10940,10941,10942,10943,10944,10945,10946,10947,10948,10949,10950,10951,10952,10989,10990,10991,10992,10993,10994,10995,10996,10997,10998,10999,11000" type="slideshow"]