Events and Info: Oct. 3 - 7, 2016, at Dundas Valley Montessori School
Friday, October 7, is Field Trip Day:
- Casa children will be spending their morning with you, their friends, and their Montessori guides at Westfield Heritage Village. We have been enjoying the incredible atmosphere and history at Westfield on these Casa family field trips for many years; you’ll love it. Parents are asked to attend Westfield with their child; DVMS staff will be there, but we cannot have children without parental supervision. The program at Westfield runs from 9:45 – 11:45. Please arrive at Westfield with your child by 9:30. After the tour, you are invited to stay at Westfield for a picnic, after which you are welcome to take your child home and get the long weekend started (Monday, Oct. 10, is Thanksgiving), or bring them to DVMS for the afternoon where we will have more casual programming; children returning to DVMS can be picked up at 3:30 per usual. Please let us know at email@example.com if you intend to bring your child back to DVMS for the afternoon. Thank you.
[read on past the jump for Elementary and Toddler field trip information...]
- Lower Elementary children will be venturing to Frootogo Orchards where they will participate in an “AppleTour”:
Education about the stages of apple growth, care, varieties, dwarf trees and more. A wagon ride to the orchard. A visit to our animals to learn about their species, habitat, diet, etc. A trip to Playland to enjoy climbing, sliding, and jumping on straw bales, digging in giant sandbox, and having fun on our riding toys. Puppet Show in our 100 year old barn. A sampling of freshly sliced apple.
This will be a regular school-hours day for Lower Elementary children: please drop them off at DVMS at 8:30 as always and they will enjoy a morning Montessori work cycle before departing DVMS by school bus at approximately 11:30. They will require a litterless packed lunch as a picnic will be their first stop. They will return to DVMS by school bus and are expected to return by approximately 2:30. Children can be picked up at DVMS anytime after 2:30 if you want to get the long weekend started a bit early (Monday, Oct. 10, is Thanksgiving).
- Upper Elementary children will be rafting on the Grand River with the Grand River Rafting Company. They will require a litterless packed lunch. Please return the waiver prior to Friday if you haven't already. Here’s the “What to Bring” guide from the rafting company:
Hats, sunscreen, lip balm, sun glasses, water, camera, footwear that can get wet and stay on your feet. Bathing suits and clothing that dries fast. Strings for those who wear glasses! Please do not wear denim pants, they never dry out. We suggest nylon material that dries easily. For cool weather dress in layers so that you can strip down as needed with a nylon jacket and splash pants on top! Gloves and a hat are good. And have warm waterproof footwear.
This will be a regular school-hours day for Upper Elementary children: please drop them off at DVMS no later than 8:30. The school bus will be departing for Paris (not that Paris) at 8:30. They will return by bus to DVMS for regular dismissal at 3:45.
- Toddler Community children will enjoy a regular school day at DVMS.
- Elementary Cross-Country Running Meet: On Wednesday, October 5, both our Lower and Upper Elementary students will be heading to LaSalle Park, in Burlington, for a cross country running event with a number of other Montessori schools. This is an annual event that is always a fun day. Parents are welcome to attend to spectate (but you can't go on the school bus, sorry), and you may even have the opportunity to volunteer as course guides along the route. Children should be dressed for the weather and to run. They will need a litterless packed lunch as the schools picnic together after the event, and a water bottle. School buses will depart DVMS at approximately 9:15. Please drop off at DVMS for 8:30 as usual. They will return to DVMS by bus for regularly scheduled afternoon programming.
- Here's a few pics from the elementary "Math with Kath" after school club this week:
[gallery ids="10451,10452,10453,10454" type="slideshow"]
But wait, there's more:
- DVMS T-Shirts on Trips: When children are venturing out on field trips or things like the elementary cross-country event, please have them wear or bring their DVMS t-shirt. Newly designed DVMS shirts will be available soon!
- Happy Thanksgiving!: Monday, October 10, is the Thanksgiving Holiday. DVMS is closed. No School!
- Special Thanksgiving Hot Lunch: Our hot lunch provider, Food for Tots, is providing a special Thanksgiving Meal in place of regular lunches on Thursday, October 6. The menu includes Roast Turkey, Gravy, Mashed Potato, Peas and Carrots, Cranberry Sauce, Dinner Roll, and Fresh Fruit. Students with dietary considerations will receive relevant, Thanksgive-y, alternatives.
- Bye Summer. Thanks for Coming Over. See You Next Year: With the onset of fall, we ask that you take a minute each morning to check the weather and the forecast and make sure children come to school with weather-appropriate clothing.
- If it's raining in the morning it doesn't mean recess will definitely be indoors; as long as water isn't falling from the sky the children will go outside for recess, so rubber boots are a definite must-have, and splash pants are great too.
- Water and wind resistant coats are great for this time of year on the playground. It can cool down considerably once the wind starts blowing.
- As the temperature starts to get colder, please keep in mind that cotton or knit gloves and mittens will inevitably get wet and result in cold, wet hands. Water resistant gloves and mitts are best.
- Also, for children who have spare clothes in their cubby, please update from shorts to pants, etc., if relevant.
- DVMS/Strata Parent Dinner: This year's DVMS/Strata Parent Dinner will take place on Friday, October 21, at Strata. Further details and limited tickets will be available next week. Save the date, so you can go on a date.
Fun Family Events:
- 4th Annual Hamilton Walk for Down Syndrome: This great event is this Sunday, Oct. 2, at Bayfront Park, from 8:30-12:00. One of your fellow Montessori parents is President of the Down Syndrome Association of Hamilton and her sons, including Owen, are all students at DVMS. If you would like to support Team Owen in the walk, you can do so by clicking this link: http://thewalk.dsah.ca/teams/teamowen2016/
- Ancsater Gem, Mineral, Bead, and Jewellery Show: ...is this weekend at the Ancaster Fairgrounds. As you know from emptying their pockets in the laundry room, kids love them some shiny rocks (and fossils, and other cool geological stuff)! Click here for more info.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
There were thousands of pictures taken at DVMS this week, but you won't get to see most of them until the photo packages arrive. Your kids were fabulous, and adorably cute, for all the photos. We did manage to snap a few from their Montessori environments this week; enjoy:[gallery ids="10458,10459,10460,10461,10462,10463,10464,10465,10466,10467,10468,10469,10470,10471,10472,10473,10474,10475,10476,10477,10478,10479,10480,10481,10482,10483,10484,10485,10486,10487,10488,10489,10490" type="slideshow"]