Events and Info: Feb. 8 - 12 at Dundas Valley Montessori School
We have received most of your re-enrolment forms for next year already. Thank you so much.Remember, we are asking that all re-enrolment forms be completed online and submitted by this coming Monday, February 8.We have a significant waiting list at all levels and are fielding inquiries from those families daily as to whether or not we will have space available. We will take next week to compile and review our numbers based on re-enrolment (and contact any DVMS families we have not heard from, but there won't be any of those, right?). We will begin offering spots to families on the waiting lists on Tuesday, February 16.If you would like to meet with Tony prior to submitting your re-enrolment please contact us by phone at 905-627-1073, or contact Tony directly at email@example.com, as soon as possible.Over the next couple of weeks, please come by the office to sign the hard copies of your re-enrolment forms and to drop off payment or post-dates by March 1. Tony promises to get a haircut, wear a nice suit, and there will be lots of handshakes and smiles, maybe a few hugs, and definitely some tears of joy and appreciation. All of your ongoing commitment to DVMS and Montessori education means more to us than you can possibly imagine.PD Day on Friday: There is a PD Day this Friday, February 12. Also, Monday, February 15, is the Family Day holiday. DVMS will be closed both days. Have a great long weekend everyone!
Lower Elementary: Lower students are continuing to skate at Grightmire arena and do Zumba at DVMS until the first week of March.
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Carol):
- will do Zumba at DVMS: Feb. 5, 19, and 26.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Joanna):
- will skate: Feb. 5, 19, 26.
- Both classes will skate together on Friday, March 4.
- When your child is skating, please ensure that their skates and helmet are in a bag that they can easily carry to and from the rink, and that skates are properly laced and easy for them to put on themselves. Please also note that the rink requires they wear a CSA approved helmet (look for the CSA sticker; they don’t deny kids with them, but they do frown and grumble a bit about children skating in bike helmets). A water bottle is great idea too. We can always use some extra hands to help get skates tied up, and parents are welcome to skate with us. Children will be at the rink by about 1:45 and will skate until 3:00.
- When your child is participating in Zumba, please have them wear or bring appropriate clothing (same as for gymnastics). Thank you.
Upper Elementary: Upper students have begun curling at the Dundas Valley Golf and Curling Club, from 1:00-3:00, on Friday, Feb. 5, 19, and 26 (Feb. 12 is a PD Day). They will need a clean pair of running shoes (dirt and grit free very important) to be carried into the club each time (their gym shoes will suffice), clothing they can stretch out in, a few layers, and mitts or gloves if they want to keep their hands warm. The curling club will provide sliders and brooms. Children will be transported to the curling club by school bus, but we are not able to charter a bus for their return trip. Please pick up children at the Dundas Valley Golf and Curling Club between 3:00-3:30 p.m. (see link above for directions; under “About Us”; it’s only 5 mins. from DVMS). If you are not able to pick up at that time, please let us know and we will carpool back to DVMS. Thank you.
But wait, there's more:
- Valentine's Day: We ask that children do not bring store bought Valentines Day cards to school. If a child wants to do something for their classmates, please bring only home-made Valentine's, that are not addressed to individual children, and that they bring enough for each child in the class. We also request that candies, chocolates, and other treats of sweet love be saved for the home environment. Thank you for understanding; this day can be a considerable disruption to the Montessori environments (fortunately, Valentine's falls on a Sunday this year, and the Friday before is a PD Day). Upper Elementary students will be participating in their traditional Valentine's box lunch exchange on Feb. 11; details will come home with them. Thank you.
- MS Read-a-thon: DVMS Physical Education specialist Lisa Petrisor is once again heading up our Elementary students' participation in the MS Read-a-thon. From Lisa:
- The MS Read-a-thon is once again upon us. This week during gym class, I have let the kids know that our school will be taking part in the MS Read-a-thon for our third year in a row!I have explained to them what MS is, how reading books and collecting donations will benefit people living with MS, and shown them two videos to go along with that information.Read-a-thon forms will be distributed to all students on Monday, February 8. Please encourage your children to read daily, and our regular in-class reading time will be MS reading time during the Read-a-thon.We will collect all forms on the final day of the MS Read-a-thon -- Tuesday, February 23.We have a Dundas Valley Montessori School fundraiser page on the msreadathon.ca website where people can make donations. If you would like your child to be able to receive donations online, please visit this page and click on "Join Team."Thanks so much for your help with making this a successful Read-a-thon again this year.Thanks again,Lisa
- Upper Elementary Speeches: Each year, the Upper Elementary students take on a public speaking project. They write short speeches on a topic of interest to them and present them in the gymnasium. This year, Upper Elementary East (Terrence) will present their speeches on Thursday, Feb. 25. Upper Elementary West (Kathleen) will present their speeches on Friday, Feb. 26. On both days the speech presentations will take place from 9:00-10:00 in the gymnasium. Parents are invited to attend to watch the speeches. There is no set schedule as to when each child will present, and if you attend, please plan on attending for the entire hour. Thank you.
- Just a reminder about our Before School Care program: DVMS offers before school care from 8:00-8:30 each day. Any child, at all levels, arriving before 8:30 (even 8:23) is asked to enter the the gymnasium until the Montessori environments open at 8:30. Your children's guides use the mornings to prepare the environments, finalize plans, and meet; there is not always staff available to properly supervise the children in the Montessori environments until 8:30. There is a $3.50 per day charge for any child entering the Before School Care program, and billing for both Before and After School programs is done at the end of each term.